'16-'17 General Discussion for Lesson 1.14

@joe_padon No Worries! Thanks for the link!

I also found these two infographics (about infographics) that I thought was a little more approachable:

http://unbounce.com/content-marketing/infographic-about-infographics/

What did most of your students end up using for their creation? Powerpoint? ease.ly?

I am excited to see what students come up with!

Kathy Schrock’s Guide to Everything - Here is another great resource for inforgraphics…

1 Like

Thanks for the lesson idea, Joe - I tweaked it for my students and gave it out after we finished the Chapter 2 assessment. They have a few days to work on it at home before turning it back in. Can’t wait to see what they come up with!

1 Like

I think the PT14 exercise is enough for students to complete without other exercises. I am using Google Docs and having them share just one paper - the completed PT14 exercise with their paper at the bottom. I am scheduling students’ Flash Talks throughout Unit 2, 2-3 per day. Was the two day suggestion made to both write the paper and present? I am giving 1 1/2 periods (115 minutes) to answer questions on writing the paper and allowing students to work on it in class. They also have over the weekend to submit.

@carmichaelc

The suggested timeline gives students 2 days to research and create their presentation. A 3rd day is for delivery of presentations. My students will probably need more in-class time because some of them do not have access at home. Feel free to make adjustments for your students.

Andrea

1 Like

Question: Am I interpreting the chart wrong? What are the connections can I make to what I’ve learned about the Internet so far? …the connections being IP, TCP, etc. Right?

@carmichaelc that is how I read it too!

The three most common were Venngage, Easel.ly, and Piktochart. All of which turned out to be similar with subtle differences. I had them present their infographic before their Flash Talk. I did have some students use PowerPoint or Word (brochure), but most seemed to like the free online versions. There was a learning curve to these new programs but they did fine with it.

@joe_padon I love this idea. I was wondering if you had a good example of one you were willing to share. Thanks!

Hi @jennifer.woughter

Here are some examples. Not all are 100% accurate, which was good when we discussed these as a class as to why they might be misleading or incorrect in some way.

PDFs:
ThursdaySept22ndEndofInternetUnit-EricAragon.pdf (87.5 KB)
Info Graphic - How the internet works.pdf (701.7 KB)

1 Like

Great! Thanks so much! Not sure if you have seen this video, but one of my coworkers used it to review and it is somewhat of an animated version of this project. Thanks for your quick response in supplying examples! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwyJGzZmBe8

1 Like

Hey Joe. Did your students make these?

Hi Carol,

Yep! These were a couple examples from my class.

Nice work students! I loved the fact that now after doing this project students had skills for creating a computational artifact (which they will need in the AP task).

I had a student ask if they could make a children’s book too with a metaphor about how the internet worked. Overall I was really impressed with my student’s creativity in this project. It also showed me that students weren’t really sure what “abstraction” was or what it meant to say that the internet was made of “open standards”. It gave us an opportunity to go back and re-visit those topics. I actually had to do some more research myself on what it meant to say that the internet is “open” and found this video useful for my own understanding.

Thanks again for sharing your ideas and student work @joe_padon, I know I found it extremely helpful!

Hi Joe,

I did this activity with my classes and it was extremely helpful and fun. Not everyone got it 100% correct but the work involved definitely capped off the unit and stretched their learning.

Thanks for all of these excellent ideas!