Computer Science in Science PD: Introduction to Complex Adaptive Systems - Discussion

I believe an example of a complex system would be the universe. In Astronomy, the types of galaxies (elliptical, spirals, and barred spirals) are perfect examples of Complex Adaptive Systems.

Hi, Glidden. I agree with the idea that matter in our universe is a complex adaptive system. Everything is made up of atoms and molecules and they are arranged forming certain patterns, without having a leader guiding them.

1 Like

Heat transfer is a complex adaptive system. It has simple rules by which the movement of individual molecules transfer heat to other molecules. Heat, then, is transferred from warmer objects to cooler objects.

Microorganisms as part of an ecosystem in a pond would be an example of a complex adaptive system. I can see how well this will tie in with the new Utah SEEd Standards that are coming in another year.

How a species may change/adapt over time based on it’s environment/ability to survive. Camouflage and avoiding predators. Climate change. Flow of electricity in circuits with resistors, etc. Diffusion. Acid/base neutralization.

The human body is a system made of small systems. Cells make tissue, tissue make organs, organs make systems and all the systems make the single living organinism.

It is amazing to me how student behaviors, affect everyone around them. If one child comes in very negative, then almost everyone has a negative day. But if you can shape their behaviors, before they infect the others, your day will go much better.

This year I taught about human body. We learned about each system, and how they affect each other. I think that learning about cells, and circulatory system, the digestive system, and how they affect each other, can help students understand how a small change affects the individual. For example, if a student doesn’t eat breakfast in morning, their body lacks the energy to learn.

The immune systems is made up of various mechanisms, including a large population of lymphocytes to detect and destroy pathogens/diseases and other types of invasions to the body. The immune systems needs to be able to recognize new pathogens for the host to survive and therefore needs to be able to adapt.

I would say just our every day routine at school. How everyone interacts with each other.

My background is in Earth science- a favorite complex system I love to talk about is how fire can shape ecosystems. Not only is fire a complex system but so is the environments response (both living and non-living parts).

Energy use on earth leads to various patterns that change the Albedo Efect leading to Global Climatic changes. Some are good , some are bad. Computer simulations can help predict and understand how our habits are linked to our climate changes and we can get a better future with less flooding and cleaner environment.

1 Like

I like this idea and would like to try it on the computer simulation model. Thanks. Hope to read more about it in your post.

Ecosystems was also the first thing that came to mind. I also remembered that our 6th grade science curriculum starts with weather and other phenomena so hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, avalanches, etc. came to mind.

I teach Environmental Systems.
Global Earth temperature is the result of a complex adaptive system. Understanding the system as a whole such that change is predictable is a validation of the system model. This information is needed to create the change required to correct and keep our global temperature at a sustainable level.
Phillip

1 Like

Food Webs are complex adaptive systems. The actions of each part drives the behaviors of the group.

Absolutely, there are so many parts of a school that could be considered a CAS. Especially when it comes to our flexibility of meeting the needs of individual students or how we interact with our teacher colleagues.

In 7th grade science we study ecology. An ecosystem is a complex adaptive system. Actually an ecosystem can have many different complex adaptive systems within it.

Yes. I think gentrification would be considered an example. With gentrification of a local community you have individual parts or factors working within the whole.

Hurricanes and the galaxy are examples of a complex adaptive system. The spiral structure of the hurricane corresponds to a black hole of the galaxy. This reflects the emergent property.