Computer Science in Science PD: Introduction to Complex Adaptive Systems - Discussion

In Life Sciences, I can see food chains and webs as examples of CAS, also body systems and health factors. In Physical Science, chemical reactions, forces and motion, and properties of matter seem like logical examples.

I teach resource availability within ecosystems. Each individual follows the rules and patterns within the ecosystem emerge.

in life science, insect swarms can be highly complex such as locusts movement pattern.

agreed, great point!

In 7th Science we talk about Ecosystems and how animals interact in a food chain. Variables can be considered, Biomes evaluated, and species of animals can be illustrated using the CAP systems. Students can evaluate the interactions and make interpretations of the results.

Two examples of a Complex Adaptive Systems are:
* air and water molecules in a weather system
* flora and fauna in an ecosystem.

These agents interact and connect with each other in unpredictable and unplanned ways. But from theses interactions regularities emerge and start to form a pattern which feeds back on the system and informs the interactions of the agents. For example in an ecosystem if a virus starts to deplete one species this results in a greater or lesser food supply for others in the system which affects their behaviour and their numbers. A period of flux occurs in all the populations in the system until a new balance is established.

Complex adaptive systems are present in genetics. (7th grade life science). Individual genetic markers interact in both planned and unplanned ways. When the DNA of male and female parents combines, genes can blend, be co-dominant, one is dominant, and sometimes we get unplanned mutations during the combination of genetic material.

CAS and Feedback loops are a large part of Robotics. We are constantly adapting to create more responsive Robots.
Additionally, IOT uses a lot of this in creating specific builds and programming.

I think plate tectonics would be a good example. It creates patterns such as ridges where there is a divergent plate boundary; it also creates trenches, volcanoes and mountains at convergent faults.