Unit 7 - lesson 3 - netflix navigator

The example solution does not work correctly - the suggested movies do not match the user input. Also, some of the methods have not been demonstrated or practiced in the previous lessons (cycling through an array with the modulo operator, using += operator). I’m not really sure how to use this practice with students. I find the directions difficult to follow, especially with each step involving adding code in two separate locations, but the directions not clearly indicating which. Any suggestions?

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with this app. If you could point out what the specific errors in the sample code are that would be great. The best place to report these would be to support@code.org. Any frustrations with the lesson should also get reported to suport so the right eyes can look at them. Students do not need to use the mod operator to cycle through the list, could be done using conditional to reset the index back to 0. They may have done this in one of the extension activities of the Reminder App in unit 6.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience!

We are updating these Practice levels for the 24-25 course to be more streamlined and easy-to-follow. The Netflix Navigator choice level is the more difficult of the two (Ramen Radar being the other option) and was intended as a more differentiated experience. In next year’s course, there will be other options, as well as a “More Practice” section where you can access the traditional style of Practice levels.

I’d be happy to assist if you can point out which levels in particular are giving you problems.

Cheers,
Erik

I agree. I have steered my students toward the Ramen option instead. The traditional practice levels were much more helpful to the students. In previous units, I just assigned last year’s version to practice.

The point is that the Netflix Navigator app that they are supposed to be emulating, is broken. Pretty sure that was not the intention. The app we are supposed to be recreating says that both Barbie and Bedtime Stories are Horror Films.

Greetings,

We are in the process of revisiting the flow of all of these new Practice levels for the '24-'25 CSP course to make them easier, more impactful, and less issue-prone with the data. Additionally, we plan on offering the traditional Practice levels in a new “Extra Practice” section so that there are more options for learning these important skills.

Cheers,
Erik

1 Like