'15-'16 Encoding B&W Images

Use this as a space to record your feedback and questions about this lesson.

Last year my advanced students wrote a program in Java that encoded messages into images and they really enjoyed it. I’m looking forward to teaching my honors students about encoding and showing them how it works.

They are all related to text compression.
I will use most of the provided lesson materials. I will make a few changes
to fit with my students’level of interest.
I will use ECS Unpluged materials as additional resources
I will develiever the lesson similar to what is given here.
I will give my students a TPA task (groupwork, presentation) at the end of the lesson.
Content questions: How might you encode colors? How do you compress text? Can you invent simpler ways to compress text?

1 Like

I remember doing this in our PD as well. It was enjoyable.

I think giving students the freedom to design their own b&w logo or try to reproduce a well-known logo will be a fun activity for them.

the concept of RGB along with encoding in hexidecimal is both foreign and fascinating to me. I will do well to incorporate KWL first and maybe play a little with w3schools to reinforce concepts.

For this lesson, I will ask probing questions about images, to see if students can define pixel. I will then use photoshop to zoom in to see that an image is made out of pixels.

1 Like

another great lesson that I am totally excited to try! I like the idea of opening a saved image in an image editing tool zoomed in to demonstrate the relationship of the lesson to “real life”…

The extension activity where you double the size of an image looks interesting. I wonder how this will connect to work we do in the programming unit.

This is a great lesson to encourage advanced students to take a step further and talk about how to scale images. I think I also will allow them to duplicate any image they can and see the results!

I love the tool in this lesson and think my students will enjoy doing it while learning.

I plan on challenging students that usually get done projects early with making their own design first by sketching something and then recreating it with the simulator.

Honestly, I found this lesson challenging at first-just could not make the binary connection. Now I believe I am better prepared to present it so that my students can understand the concept.

I’m excited about this lesson since it was the one we presented on the PD. My advice is to get students to think as binary as on and off and also to have them write down their code before they get online even if they are off by one’s and zeros (I was).

I am really excited to teach this lesson to my students. I am going to encourage them to work with the widget before watching the video. When they struggle with the dimensions of the letter A, they will be encouraged to try changing different 0’s and 1’s and then share with the class their findings.
I plan to follow all lessons as written being this is the first time I am teaching this content.

1 Like

I enjoyed this lesson during our PD. I am nervous about explaining the Hexadecimal portion in the next lesson but I believe Code.org has a few resources for me to use. I have not really worked with Hex before so if anyone has any resources they would suggest for me to brush up with I would greatly appreciate it.

Other than that, I like this lesson quite a bit and will probably stick fairly close to it. If the students work through it quickly I will definitely push them to complete the extension activity.

I am going to do this lesson in its entirety, including some of the supplemental activities. As we are a small school, I think that I can combo my students in this class with my rather full ECS class and use colored squares to make a picture; as is done at sports stadiums.

Also, I think that using some art from the Impressionists would help students to see what the eye does with colors and shapes at distance.

I love this, its easy. My creative students could get into this. But this is exactly the point where it could get dangerous as far as time effectiveness is concerned. Once one has gotten the picture (concept), more complicated structures are not necessarily more enlightening. But then… its just time…lol

My team taught this lesson in the PD and it went well. It spirals key concepts about the protocol for interpreting binary as well as getting students to understand on and off. I know that I was surprised that 0 = black and 1 = white, because I so used to looking at a blank piece of the paper and thinking that white is the default and black is added to the paper.

This is a great activity for students to start understanding how pictures are represented not only in files but also on TV, stadium screens, marquees, etc. I can see students getting into this and spending a lot of time. For now, I will teach this lesson as is.