App Lab UI Elements Documentation?

My students and I are designing our App screens now and are running into some trouble using some UI elements. Specifically, It is not super clear exactly how to use the Chart element. Is there some documentation explaining in some detail exactly how to program the element to draw a specific chart? Can charts be drawn in Google Sheets and the resulting chart and data imported?

1 Like

Matt,

I’ve not been asked that question, and didn’t see any specific lesson focused on chart creation. I when to the open AppLab (where we have access to all the available blocks of code) and found under Data the drawChart and drawChartFromRecords blocks. When I moused over to view documentation, it gave some examples which might be helpful, but it looks like it’s always drawing from an array (which can be found in the variables section). This will take some looking into (and now I’m interested as well, so I’ve got my night planned…) but I’m thinking that if a student really wants to, they could do some research and then a screencast to share for other interested parties on the forum…

Let me know how it goes!
Brad

I can’t find documentation on the elements in app lab - I wanted to know how to use the canvas element, and can’t find any information on it.
Thank you

Is this the kind of thing you’re looking for?
https://docs.code.org/applab/

My students are going thru CS Discovery Unit 4 now and we are close to the point where we are sharing screens. We want to go beyond design and add some functionality. I am finding there are no real examples in CS Discovery Unit 4 for charts, dropdown, sliders and other ui elements. Even if I look at this documentation it falls short in explanations when using it for the first time especially with students. Where would I find a video or an example that I can remix that would show me how to use some of these ui features?

I see Michelle responded on a different thread. I would concur with her that this unit wasn’t designed to go in depth on App Lab. It is more of a unit where students are encouraged to develop empathy for the needs of other users and to continue developing their abilities in problem solving. I, too, have students want to do more than the unit teaches, but I always tell them to be patient and that they will be able to learn more and do more in unit 6.

If you have time after unit 6 and want to come back to student projects in this unit, I am guessing students will have more of an idea of what they can do and could improve their prototype apps.

Mike