Computer Science Discoveries for 11th Graders

Hello,

The students at my school do not have any experience with coding or computer science. Is CS discoveries appropriate for that age level? I want to make sure I’m challenging them, and I don’t want them to think they’re taking a course meant for younger students.

Also, is there anyway to personalize lessons, create your own, or edit the lessons in anyway?

Thanks!
Sammy

Hello Sammy,
You certainly could teach CS Discoveries to 11th graders. However, it is designed for students through 10th grade. Many of the lessons in CS Discoveries are open ended and could be adapted.

Some of these videos might help you decide if Discoveries is right for your students. Teacher Tips - YouTube Perhaps the first and last one could give you info to help you decide if it would work with your students.

Have you looked at CS Principles? That is designed for 9-12 grade and doesn’t require any background knowledge. CS Principles is designed for beginners. There is a full description of CS Principles here. CS Principles | Code.org. It could give you more information to help you decide which would be best for your students.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions, please reach out.

Thank you, we’re actually teaching CS discoveries to the 12th graders. So I was hoping I could condense CS Discoveries for it to make sense as an 11th-grade course.

Did you mean that CS Principles is taught to 12th graders?

This page has each unit listed along with an implementation guide. Code.org The implementation guide is for younger students so it is possible your students could complete units in less time.

Does that help?