Computer Science in Science PD: Using Models in the Classroom - Discussion

A successful science classroom has the teacher as facilitator of scientific inquiry, rather than being the administrator of knowledge. Students are seated in groups, facing each other, for ease of cooperative learning. Students are involved in discussion, bouncing ideas off of each other while deciding how to tackle the problem presented to them. The teacher walks around, helping where she can, but reserving the right to say “I don’t know” in order to spur original thinking amongst the groups. Computers can be used to research background information on the problem at hand, then as tools to create simulations in order to develop working hypotheses about the problem.

1 Like

You have identified the one issue I think will be a challenge when coding with teenagers. Persistence is such an important characteristic, but sometimes middle schoolers are lacking it. I think this curriculum will be a good chance for them to practice patience, diligence, and perseverance.

2 Likes

In a successful Science classroom students would use their basic knowledge to construct models and simulations to answer scientific questions which interest them. The teacher would act as a facilitator and could answer technical questions associated with setting up their models. The teacher would allow for discussion among students and would aid in their communication with one another.

Ideally the perfect science classroom includes one-to-one technology with opportunities for students to question the ideas they learn openly. I would love to see a science class that allows some student-led inquiry about assigned subjects. Students could work in functioning groups where each member of the group had a specified job and collaboration could happen face-to-face as well as online.

My definition of a successful science classroom would include students actively engaged in inquiry based activities and the teacher as a facilitator. Students would work together to solve problems and answer questions. Thy can then evaluate and analyze the information obtained.

With the next generation science standards fusing in and certain requirements to with common core techniques, I am not sure what a successful Science classroom should look like. However, I do believe it is an environment that engages the students, enables them to explore and environment that allows them to be successful in learning.

I believe the teacher should somewhat be a facilitator and the students should be the leaders of their learning.

I completely agree. I believe I should be a facilitator and the students should be eagerly engaged in their own learning.

Ideally, the science classroom would include students being actively engaged in finding the answers to relevant questions through guided experimentation in their lessons where the teacher is a facilitator, and the students assist and guide one another through discovery. Students would ask thoughtful questions, while the teacher would guide students toward discovering answers rather than “giving” them. Trial-and-error is an important factor in this process, and students should all be brave enough to try and fail, displaying the tenacity required to achieve success.

Sabreu, your statement is right on point. Saying that kids nowadays are computer savvy is totally untrue. They may know listening to music and playing games, but they do not know the mastermind that created all that. Students will need much patience when creating their models and trying their hypotheses multiple times and annotate their results. It will be interesting to see them actually become computer savvy.

A successful science classroom will need to have many components. It includes students elaborating their own experiments to find out if what they are thinking is backed up by the results, some students will be expressing frustration when they do not get what they thought they would, it will require finding out information from various resources and communicating that information to others in various ways. It will require “noisy” times and there might be a need of quiet times to process the information obtained. Each student would be learning to reach a goal.

In my head when I think of a successful science classroom I always see a beehive of sorts. I see a lot of movement and organized chaos happening but everyone is being productive. This includes the teacher. The teacher should be engaged in working with the students - not just standing to the side waiting to be asked a question or included in the learning.

A successful Science classroom has students learning through investigation. They must engage in multiple scientific practices – asking scientific questions, planning and carrying out an investigation, and constructing arguments from evidence – intertwined with disciplinary core ideas and crosscutting concepts.

1 Like

My idea of a successful science classroom includes a room where students feel save to express their thoughts and ideas, can share and critique each others work, and revisit designs and processes to help each other be successful in the realm of science inquiry and exploration. Using modeling and simulations in class would allow for more design processing to be relevant, generating multiple hypotheses, adjusting variables, change expectations, collect/analyze data and share results. Students could work effectively individually or in group settings at their own pace and adjust as needed and more toward more real world problem solving and critical thinking.

I think this statement is very true and for my 8th gradersit is very difficult to be brave enough to try and fail… and even more difficult to try again and again until you possibly get it “right.”

Didn’t think of using this for social science- religion and politics.
It would be interesting to study and predict social issues about access to potable water.

Teacher provided experiences and guidance is essential.

In a successful Science classroom innovation is taking place. Students are sharing ideas, coming to a consensus and trying out their ideas. I do an activity at the begining of the year. I give each group a packing peanut some metal objects and string. I tell them they have to get it to suspend in a tub of water for 5 seconds. It can’t sink or float. It’s loud, messy and crazy in my room but you can see and feel the excitement in the room.

My vision of a successful science classroom would have students actively engaged in the lesson. They are learning from each other, and experimenting through the use of technology.

1 Like

A successful science classroom that integrates modeling and simulation provides students with the opportunities to design, test, and communicate their models. This provides students with ownership of their knowledge and work and also creates a forum for discussion with others and opportunity to identify misconceptions.

In my ideal science classroom students are actively engaged in an activity while other students are looking at outcomes and discussing the data they have collected to come to conclusions. Students should be working at something that challenges them at their level with advanced students working at more complex tasks and analysis than less advanced students who are still building their skill levels.