Discuss Your Favorite Module Experience from Phase 2 (In-Person)

I worked on the Earth Science module and I really enjoyed changing it to make it more personal, something that I would like my kids to experience as well. I would like to do the Life Science module as that is what I teach the majority of the time. An Earth Science module with weather would be fun too.

I thought the summer PD was very informative, but at some times, overwhelming. This is coming from someone who had NO experience in code, at all. By the end of our third day, I felt confident and feel that I can relay this information to my students - I’m sure they will be able to teach me a few things, also. :smile: I worked on Module 4, and it was challenging, however my partners and I made it through and I am very satisfied with our final result.

I really enjoyed module 2, water as a shared resource. I could see the direct connections to my classroom content. I also liked having the time to explore and change components in the module. It was really satisfying when my partners and I were able to solve some of the code problems and make the simulation perform the way we wanted it to.

I enjoyed module 4. Physical science is one of my strengths, and I could clearly see using this module in my classroom with my 8th grade chemistry unit. I was glad when I was able to create a code that skipped the step of creating new breeds. I could see my students thinking this way and I feel better prepared now to address the different ways my students might create the code.

The life science module was my favorite. It is very adaptable and students can use it to see many ecological effects on populations like food chains, food webs, carrying capacity and exponential growth just to name a few.

I remember feeling lost. After working more with Module 3 and seeing how it could be used in 6th grade if felt better. Hope I still have that feeling when I actually begin to teach how to use StarLogo Nova.

I really enjoyed the in person PD. I especially enjoyed the time that we got to practice the simulations. I had the best experience with “Water as a shared resource”. It was this module that I struggled with most, therefore, I feel it taught me much more. During the presentations of the other modules, it was great to see the different things you can do with the agents. I especially liked the chemical reaction module, where the agents would turn different colors and shapes due to the specific reactions.

We had a lot of fun at the training in Boise. I remember learning a lot of great things. I felt like I really got all of the content in Module 1, but the other modules were a little difficult. I especially like the Module on chemical reactions.

During the summer in-person sessions , I liked the activities of moving around our space with rules and then applying that experience to the first module. It helped me understand what was happening on the screen. Creating the simulations was trial and error to create loops that ran the way we wanted them to. The summer experience was a great opportunity partnering to end up with the code in the right order to run the simulations. The use of teaching strategies that encourage positive team work were excellent.

I think I understand the ecosystem module the most because that is the one I worked on the most and became the most familiar with during our in person PD. I chose this module because it relates most directly with the content I teach. I felt each day I was more comfortable with the content and what to do but after not using the program for a few weeks I feel very confused again. I will have to play with it more and become comfortable again so I can share with my students come August.

I enjoyed day 3 because I had a better understanding of what I was doing, and I have a smaller group with more help from the instructor and fellow learners as it was in a more intimate setting.

i think it was an excellent learning session, doing physical activities to illustrate coding will be very helpful.

I liked the Module 3 work we did on the last day. The group was small which helped a lot with distractions. I felt more comfortable navigating around and much more familiar with the drawers and vocabulary.

Even though I did not personally like the paired programming, I can see how it would really work with students - especially those that will need additional support. I preferred to work individually and figure out where all of the blocks were located so I can better help students.

Module 1 was interesting in learning how a computer thinks, but I really enjoyed working through Module 3. There are quite a few ways students can modify the existing program and then gather data to see how an ecosystem works or even how disease can spread. I will definitely use this module with my students.

The simulations were fun to build. I completed the Earth Science module in class, then came home and built the Predator and Prey program. I had success in making the predators eat the prey and was able to add in realistic conditions - grass grew back when rabbit population decreased, etc.

From what I remember, many of the lessons contained an activity that required some type of movement by the students before completing the coding activity. This stuck out because I was concerned about how students would understand the connection of coding to computational thinking. I had the best experience with Module 1. Often, I referred back to Module 1 activities to modify the simulations in the other modules. What makes this module special is it highlights the coding techniques that will be repeatedly used in many simulations I would want to conduct with students.

The module that was most beneficial to me was the predator prey relationship module. It was fun adding another variable and playing around with the program.

The workshop was very engaging. I felt challenged by working with how to program the commands. You really have to focus in on every step and detail which is really good for processing and thinking deeper. I believe students would be able to navigate through the details easier.

Overall I felt the workshop very helpful and that the pace for explaining systems was just right. However, I felt the pace for the actual coding was a little hurried. I am excited to teach coding to my students and hope my district has allowed enough time in the pacing guides for this instruction.

For me the last model seemed to be the most memorable for me because I saw the integration of what I had learned with traditional content subjects. I have taught math for the last few years and I love the integration of the coordinate plane. This would provide for a great science, math, computer programming integrated lesson.

Robert