PD Discussion: Collaboration and Plugged Classroom

We often take gallery walks and students get to ask each other how they achieved certain results. Students are encouraged to help each other, and those who finish early are required to assist other students overcome their challenges.

I am having my students create blogs about their expeinces throuhgout the course. I have had mixed success. Some students really like this form of sharing but others do not. The goal of the blogs is for students to share their ideas and interact with other students. This blogs should be about the process not necessary a demonstration of concept mastery although hopefully the final blogs will be able to show growth.

I love the A = Amazing; B = Brilliant partners and will be implementing them today! My class follows the pair programming and my classroom norms explain that my students must embrace diversity (norm #2) so they are comfortable working with one another. I chose groups for them the first two units, and in Unit 3 and not 4 Iā€™m allowing them to choose their own partnerships.

I often use active participation. Everyone reads aloud the directions and/or expectations. pair share at the tables and then share out load to the class. regularly change the groups.

Managing collaboration in a plugged classroom is made much easier with organization. Having routines in place and lots of accountability!

We are a google school so kids can work on documents across the room easily. Iā€™ve done several ā€œsilent partnerā€ assignments where they have to chat via computer only and then turn in one document of their answers. I can see their final answer as well as their conversations for evaluating and feedback.

I use different methods for collaboration in my classroom. I really like using Google classroom for our activities, especially using journals. I post the question and they can post their response and I can choose in an option whether I want them to be able to comment on each otherā€™s posts or not. I also walk around the room and students that are doing really well I pair them with those that are struggling.

I attempt from the beginning of the course to promote students working together through group projects as well as pair and share.

We use Google Classroom for collaboration.

Break students into designated groups and allow them to accomplish a task and then evaluate their findings.

I assign students togehter in pairs and will monitor the groups.

I constantly walk around the classroom as students are working in groups. I will usually assign a project manager as someone who will keep notes and also manage the group presentation. I try to switch up group assignments to make sure that students circulate throughout the classroom, and does not get comfortable working in a group with just their friends.

I typically promote collaboration by assigning roles when possible, and then have the students rotate the roles. I monitor the class as a whole by walking around to ensure students are on task and are working together.

One strategy that I use in my class to stimulate collaboration among students is identifying experts. I may direct a student that is asking for help to another student that I know has already resolved a similar issue. Also, I usually have a rule of ā€œasking other classmatesā€ or elbow partners before asking me.

If a student has a question they must ask the person on their left and right before getting one of the those students to ask me their question. Doing this means that all 3 students didnā€™t know the answer, so it gives me an opportunity to reteach or teach the concept to the entire class.

One student as navigator one day, then switch and the other must navigate, that way everyone controls the mouse and keyboard equally.

By creating groups I have been able to emphasize collaboration and maximize productivity.I assign the group members and will put one student who has demonstrated mastery with a student who is not yet there. This has been a very successful tool for me in my ECS class this semester.

Pair programming is an excellent way to encourage students in their creativity of programming, it reinforces students and allows them some support and someone to preview their solutions and another pair of eyes are extremely helpful when debugging.

I like to have students do gallery walks with their computers open and their html coding visible.

Paired projects, ā€˜ask 3 before meā€™, ā€¦main thing is getting them to talk to each other about the project. Sometimes I try to make the assignment a little ambiguous to see the different ways they come up with to solve. the problem.