Reflecting on Summer CS in Science PD

I am struggling to understand how I launch this with a full class of students. I would love to see example videos of facilitation.

Thanks!

I love trying the different types of tasks - some are easier for me than others - but I’m very nervous about doing this in my class.

I’m glad I had this online PD to “nudge” me back into the coding. Luckily I will need to have it ready to implement early in the year as that’s where the model on chemical reactions fits. I have three big areas of concern:

1. The time it will take for me to build and practice skills in preparation.
  2. My students this year are academically low and I have a large number of ELL students. I’m curious to see if this will be too much OR just the opposite, get them more engaged with the topic and coding.
  3. The time it takes in class; what parts of the curriculum will have to minimized or eliminated?
    and a 4th – Will technology issues be resolved? Will simple computer issues cause the entire process to slow and we lose energy and time for the actual coding and using the model?

Finally computer science is going to all ages. That is exciting for people to discover how things work being computers and electronics. We need physical machines that can work with the modules. Our computers cannot even play the videos smoothly when students have multiple tabs open. Hope we could get some support in finding grants and fundings for upgrading our hardware.

This was a great review (Phase 2) of what we learned during our time at UCI.

I have really enjoyed everything that we’ve covered so far. My problem is that I can’t commit it to memory. I am very hesitant in my abilities to teach this to students. I will try… but will take more practice.

I am looking forward to the other in person PD. I really get so much out of working around and with others. This is also the way to stay motivated even when you are running around nuts at the beginning of the school year.

The in person PD this Summer was fantastic. Many of my questions about the software and the implementation of the program were answered and great, new questions came up. I am excited to attend the next phase of in-person PD this Fall.

I had the same issue when Ive attempted to login to slnova.

F2F and Paired Up Collaboration in Coding was the key to my coding knowledge last summer, I need more time to practice, maybe, I may be one block ahead ofmystudents:)

I am very excited about creating my own models as well as creating these together with my students. I feel challenged thinking about scientific concepts in a different “language” and trying to translate these into codes to come up with simulations and models.

I am happy to be able to learn how to create simple codes for simple models and simulations.
I feel that I need help in mastering the coding language. Instructional videos help a lot, and from my own end, I have to create/find the time to practice.

I am looking forward to the day when I will finally reach a high level of confidence in using the language of coding to teach scientific concepts.

I’ve learned so far the basics of coding and I feel like when I get through these classes I’ll have graduated a pseudo-coding basics 101. I still find myself taking a long time to get through creating certain conditions but at least I get through it.

The thing that excite me is to be able to have students create modules that can help them understand phenomenons around them. The challenge will be the time it will take to learn the program and create modules that can simulate real life issues using student background and experiences.

It will be exciting to see modules we are able to produce with our children in the next few months as we get more knowledgeable of the program. I hope we will be able to share our experiences as well as our products.

I agree. I was a little cold feet before coming to the summer institute classes, but today I feel more confident. Still have some troubleshooting problems, but I am enjoying the time spent making changes to my current modules as well as attempting to start new projects.

I think I understand the coding language now, but applying the knowledge to make the codes work is a totally different thing.

The in-person PD was super helpful and engaging. The online PD not as much, however, it did help me refresh on many of the concepts I have learned in the in-person PD.

Moving forward, I am thinking of ways to implement the curriculum. I am also thinking about creating addition challenge questions for my advanced students, as well as some scaffolds for my struggling students. Also, the notes provided in the PD will be a resources I will use to create my slides.

I am excited to try this in my classroom!

I am excited to use Star Logo Nova with my students. I know that some of them have experience and can help assist those who do not. I feel as though the Summer PD was a bit redundant, but I realize that not all teachers have years of experience with computer programming and with facilitating a classroom where computers are used regularly. Overall, I think my students will have a positive experience which is what makes all the extra work worth it.

The PD this summer was very helpful and encouraging. I am much more confident with the program because of this. I am excited to share this with my students, and they are excited about learning it. I am hoping to be able to scaffold the instruction so that all of my students, honors and struggling learners alike, can learn how to effectively use the program.

The PD this summer was great; helpful and useful information. I’m pretty confident with the program and am looking forward to sharing it with my students.