Teaching events

For my younger students I would use an old schoolyard favorite Red Light Green Light. By explaining to students that reacting to the different colors they are acting like the events in a game or program.

1 Like

Probably introduce events by using our eyes, ears, sense in skin to temperature, etc… One could ratchet it up by using sensors (digital and analog) - always sitting there and waiting for action before reaction. Great way to integrate with physics and adjust based on age/cognition level.

Since I have middle schooler students, i think the game analogy is a good one. An event is a user defined action…SO connecting it back to the PS2 remote and make to webpages. Getting kids to see events are caused by the user…not pre-programmed (autonomous)

I like the Simone Says and Read-aloud ideas for younger students and the Video games for older students.

1 Like

I think I would approach teaching the concept of computer events by using examples of cause and effect. You do something, the cause, then there is an outcome, the effect. Events are the same concept. If you program a click mouse event, the cause, you need to program the desired effect. Say for example you have a closed flower that you are required to open. You can add a mouse click event that when the flower is clicked it opens.

I like the idea of using a read-aloud such as “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie” to introduce students to the idea of events and triggers.

An event is something that happens that causes something else to happen. Grade 4/5 would get this and especially related back to their own video games. Waht happens when you press down, this is an event.

I also like the read-aloud of a familiar story (If You Give A Mouse or I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed A…) and the “events” or “plot” for younger kids…and my 3rd & 4th graders know video games well enough to grasp the concept of an “event”

I would like to teach the junior grades about an event through putting their hands up to say something.
One idea I saw on here for the senior primary grades (middle school) would be to talk about the games that they play, and go through the events that have to happen in there games.

I teach elementary school and I believe showing my students simple programs like Flappy and then moving into an unplugged activity would help them understand (realize) the concept of Events.

When you work in a district that is still a few years out to one-on-one, access to code.org is limited. I thought the lesson ideas were great where teachers could support the conceptual understanding of the coding process before ever getting them on the computers to actually code. Great idea!
Robb

What a great idea! Using videogame! I’ll do in my class!

I would teach the concept of events to my 2nd graders by beginning a discussion around video games.

I agree that video games are a great way to introduce the concept of events to students.

I like the ideas of playing simon says, red light green light, and the example of raising a hand to get the teacher to call on you, as well as the whistle in the gym or other ways teachers get students’ attention.

I like using everyday events to help them try to understand.
When the school bell rings, that´s an event, we end the class.
When the stoplight changes to red, we stop.
Events are everywhere and we are “programmed” to take action.

When using a computer we are transported into a smaller world. The events take place when we use our input devices.

I really like the example provided in the video and feel that it would be a great way to teach my Pre-K students about events. Instead of using a familiar rhyme I would use the book Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. Every time we heard he phrase “Chicka Chicka Boom Boom” the students would have to pretend to be shaking a coconut tree.

As usually, I use our daily routines and activities to teach my kids about events. In this case, I will ask them some question such as: “what will you do if some one knock on the door while I am not at home?” “what will you do if you feel hungry?” or “what will happen if you play game too much?”…

An event is an action that cause something to happen. I will teach the concept of event to my primary students using a read aloud story such as “If you give a mouse a cookie” like many people in the forum. I think it’s a good example to show kids what is an event and what are the triggers. I also like the idea to play “Simon says” to explain the concept, the videos of Code.org related to this topic and the unplugged lessons, of course.

I like the Big Event ideas and would love to continue it throughout the day. Perhaps each time a student makes a thoughful contribution or I think I’ve said something brilliant, I’ll push a button and have them cheer. It would also be fun to do a type of “I have… who has” where the students will complete a chain reaction based on different “events”. For example the first card would say "When you hear a bell ring you will say ‘Good morning class’ and then another student’s card will say, “When you hear 'Good morning class” you will stand and salute. This will continue until all the “events” take place.