Teaching two units concurrently?

Has anyone taught two units from CS Discoveries concurrently as a way to differentiate and give students choice? I’d love to be able to offer my students a choice of units 2 OR 3, but I’m not sure if that would be possible with timing. Thanks!

Did you try this yet? I’m also interested in allowing student choice between unit 2 or 3, but not sure if possible.

I don’t see a response to this question. My students are moving at very different speeds. I’d like to have two units open at once. Is this even possible? Thank you

It’s possible if you separate the students into two different classes in your dashboard. I’m curious what this would look like logistically in a classroom as the curriculum is really not designed for 100% student-paced and student-led. It really does value the teacher in the instructional practices. Would you do groups or some sort of rotation with you? I almost picture reading groups in elementary schools.

Thanks, Elizabeth

My immediate problem is solved, now that I know that students can see a unit even if it isn’t assigned to the section.

I chose Code.org in part because it seemed to offer enough supplemental material in each lesson to keep the high-achievers busy while the others completed the basic material. But it’s turned out not to be quite enough, and I’m struggling to keep the class synch’d. In one class, I have four out of 30 who are way, way ahead.

I have another challenge. I have one stacked class: grades 11 and 12 in the room together. I’d like to use the whole lesson plan for each lesson, but it’s really hard to do that with two courses going on. Of course, that’s not a code.org issue.

Anyway, I’m doing my best. Generally speaking, I’m liking the course. I find some of the prep exercises, like in the problem-solving section, to be a bit soft. Otherwise, things have gone pretty well.

Thanks again,
mark

1 Like

I posted 2 of my google classrooms for others to use in the forums. I have multiple classes wrapped around code.org’s units. I have taught these courses for multiple years with success.
Our classes are made up of 35 meetings, approx 50 min each.
You must use a personal gmail account to access the classrooms - googles rules

Allowing students to access Unit 2&3 IMO is too much. You should weave unit 1 into these units as the problem solving process is an important theme that repeats throughout all levels.
I did combine units 4&5 into one class and will post that classroom shortly.

Web Design y6n7ohw Based off Unit 2

Video Game Design rcvctel Based off unit 3

enjoy

3 Likes