U1 Day 17-19: PD Discussion Topic

How do you plan to set up your classroom to best facilitate the Turing Test Activity? What other resources might you use in this lesson? Do you have any links for different chatterbot websites?

If you have any other thoughts or questions about this lesson, feel free to post those in the forum as well!

I think we might watch a clip from the new Alan Turing movie. I havenā€™t watched it so I donā€™t have a specific clip in mind but it could be a good hook and especially bring in kids by being very current.

3 Likes

Iā€™m going to have my kids do a quick chat with their neighbor. My goal is to get them to understand how the person with whom they are speaking learns from them and interacts based off of their interactions. Weā€™ll do a quick chat about this prior to the Turing Test activity. Once they have completed the activity, Iā€™m going to have them discuss, in a whole group, what they learned and how realistic their interactions were when they worked with a computer.

Thereā€™s a really cool video of a person completing a Turing Test that Iā€™d like to show my class. Itā€™s a quick video on youTube. I think it might help the kids make sense of what they experienced during the activity.

2 Likes

I will be moving to a new location and have not had the time to check it out or how I can arrange the room. This will have to be done at a later time

The layout of my room, the hallway and my office allow me to pull the Turing test activity off with out a problem. All of the resources that I plan to use (understanding that this Symbaloo ā€˜webmixā€™ will be update as I have new ideas) can be found at < http://edu.symbaloo.com/mix/ecsunit1-hci > . Especially like this resource that can be found in the ā€™ AI vs. AI ā€™ folder < http://viewpure.com/vphmJEpLXU0 >.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing about the movie!
As for the activity, I would probably have to send some kids to the hallway and/or adjacent teacherā€™s classroom to make sure they are separated enough.

In the past, I have introduced this topic by looking at Watson and ASIMO. I also like to anaylze computres and emotions with movies like WALLE and Bicential Man.

http://world.honda.com/ASIMO/
http://www.ibm.com/smarterplanet/us/en/ibmwatson/

I will have to do some more research on using the Turing test before trying it in the classroom and also look at the logistics of getting it set up.

1 Like

There are a lot of good chatbot sites (cleverbot is one I have used) and a good video about Turing Test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njmAUhUwKys
that introduces the idea of a chatbot stealing your identityā€¦

Hmmm, something to think about.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to have each of my students worrk with one of the chatterbox sites and also perform the Turing test in class. Iā€™m not sure how to implement it yet but will hopefully have a better idea as the unit progresses.

I thing the movie idea is a great idea. I have an adjacent room where i can send some students.

The Turing Test ā€œis a test of a machineā€™s ability to exhibit intelligent behavior equivalent to, or indistinguishable from, that of a human. Alan Turing proposed that a human evaluator would judge natural language conversations between a human and a machine that is designed to generate human-like responsesā€ is a function that will allow students to think both ā€œConceptually & Criticallyā€ about the connection and relationship that humans have with computers.

Ultimately, it is through Human Intelligence which provides for the computer to operate in the manner it does, and to provide it with the power to do things that at one time were unimaginable.

For both the Auditory Learner and the Visual Learner, an explanation of the Turing Test would be in order: I would provided three (3) different approaches in explaining the ā€œTurner Testā€ and ā€œArtificial Intelligenceā€

I would have the students collaborate to discuss which of the three sources of information provide them with the best understanding of what the ā€œTurner Testā€ is, and its importance. Once done, I would have students share out with the class for feedback from other students in the class.

I am going to be teaching at a new school next year, so Iā€™m not 100% sure how I will set up this activity in my new room. Guessing, I will utilize another teacherā€™s room to act as an additional holding space. Iā€™ve never taught about the Turing Test, but it sounds very interesting and will be a topic that students will enjoy discussing.

My classroom will be set up as normal, but I do think I will have students pair up to work together at one computer.I will show my students some youtube videos of Turing Tests after they do their own activities and spark up a discussion on different types of computer intelligence.

To facilitate the Turing Test I will probably use the hallway, but there are also some additional classrooms that I can take advantage of if they are available. Next door to me is a Math support class I can probably have one of the students sit in and the computer lab is very close to my class as well.

Iā€™ve just moved to a new school and donā€™t currently have a room. I will use various places on the campus, once Iā€™ve had a chance to figure it out. The bell schedule and enormity of the school grounds lends itself to movement.

I plan on grouping the students and possibly doing the activity outdoors so we have more space. I am going to use Microsoftā€™s personal assistant Cortana in the lesson to show students where personal computing AI is currently at. I am also going to look for some chatterbot sites that the students can explore.

You could set up a similar situation like the dating game and have students generate questions to learn about several individuals that are unknown to them and generate opinions based on their answers. They could possibly even be asked to predict things about the unknown individuals or describe them.

I will send the students being questioned to the hallway. I may use a voice recorder to record answers to make it simpler for those questioning the students.

I will be able to do the Turing Test activity successfully because my room has two separate labs. I will also introduce the concepts by showing clips from relevant movies. They will be used to launch us into a discussion about artificial intelligence.

Iā€™m interested in seeing which questions and how students will plan on differentiating between computers/robots and humans. This might be a good point for students to learn about and understand Costaā€™s Levels of Questioning or DOK levels (lower-level thinking versus higher-level critical thinking).

1 Like