U1 Day 17-19: PD Discussion Topic

I’m going to start by having my student’s watch the short video on the Turing Test. Then I will have each of my students worrk with one of the chatterbox sites . Many of the ideas presented in these lessons will be a work in progress. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in a real classroom. I’ll keep you posted

I will have students journal/discuss what kinds of questions are difficult for a computer to answer, and why.

I will use youtube videos about the Turing Test and mimic it in an activity.
I like the idea from @jkim of bringing in Costa or DOK.

I assume I’ll have to use the hallway to run the turing test activity. Our building is being renovated so planning ahead is useless. I’ll wing it.
I plan to watch the movie about Turing (The Imitation Game) to see if it (or a portion of it) would be appropriate to show in class.

I noticed that several of the chatbot sites listed in the course book are no longer available. The latest chatbot to claim to pass the test is Eugene Goostman. I might have students research this chatbot. There is also an interesting article about “the one questions turing test”. I am considering asking our philosophy teacher to team with me on this section.

Logistically I’m not certain about my classroom set up yet. I may decide to use a different classroom or area for this activity. Utilizing different chatbot sites will be useful in supporting this topic. Some of the videos suggested in the forum will be useful as well.

I plan to use the open areas outside of my classroom. I will also not tell the runners which student is the computer and have them random go to a different person each time.

I want to use google hangouts or a chat feature to have two random students “talk” to one another. The one student will have to determine if he/she is getting responses from the student or from a bot (cleverbot). The scientist (performing the turing test) will develop a set of questions. The chat student will respond directly or copy the text into cleverbot and paste the response. I will set certain restrictions like asking questions about local conditions (what is the teacher’s name, how many girls are in the room, etc…)

I am still not 100% sure how I will teach this lesson, I am going to dive a little deeper into this topic to get more ideas .

I’m not really sure I’m ready to state that I will do this lesson. I do have an adjacent room with an instructor who has taught this class the past year. I will discuss with him if he did this lesson and how it went. I think overall, that the concept of intelligence can be grasped without this lesson. I though this lesson was not really well revealed so I’ll need to take another look when the time comes to state if I will undertake presenting it. Just being honest.

I’ll have my students work with some pre-selected chatterbox sites (whatever works within our district web filters) and provide guidelines for appropriate questions and assess the exercise with students uploading screenshots of their text transcripts to dropbox or a similar utility.

not sure about logistics yet. maybe use the media center
I have never heard of the Turing Test, so I will need to do some homework before this lesson !

I will have to have the computer and person be in the hallway and the go-betweens will take questions to them and bring back the answers.

I have small class sizes so it shouldn’t be difficult to pull of the Turing Test.

people answering questions will be in the hallway

I intend to have the students read a modified version of the Unpluged activity discussion of AI. I think the machine conversations can best be mulled over in that manner. There are some comprehension strategies I hope to have them employ during the reading. The strategies generally paired, small group and class discussions. The guiding question for the reading will be “What is intelligence”. I hope to lead the discussion around to an answer of “independent and creative interpretation of data”.

I’m pretty limited on how I can arrange students in my computer lab. I will have them work in groups of 3-4. Some other chatterbots include:

A.L.I.C.E. alice.pandorabots.com
Elbot www.elbot.com
Jabberwaky www.jabberwacky.com
Cleverbot http://www.cleverbot.com

To set up the Turing Test activity, I can do something like the following:

Journal: Readiness: What is intelligence?
Discuss.
Review:

Intellectual capacity
Brainpower
understanding
reasoning
comprehension
ability

What is intelligent? “Having or showing intelligence.”
Discuss

Journal What is Artificial Intelligence?
Students share entries with Neighbors

Readiness:
Ask, “Who is Alan Turing? Anyone heard of Alan Turing and the Alan Turing Test?”
Introduce students to Alan Turing and the Alan Turing Test

I was planning to show to my students how voice recognition software works. The most useful application was using this programs to write a simple document.

I will check this out. Sounds like something that will keep the students interested.

My plan is to use the iPads and Skype the students can ask the questions in one room and then have other students answering in another room. I also think showing a video tying it all together will help students. I will also check out some of the sites mentioned to see if they are doable on the iPads

1 Like

I will have to review the setup of my classroom to determine the steps I will need to set up the Turing Test. I think I will have to review the Turing test in greater detail to make sure I have a crystal clear understanding of the test concepts.