U1 Day 3-4: PD Discussion Topic

I’m definitely stealing the kitchen analogy! THANKS.

Really like the ideas posted by other teachers. I see several that I will ‘borrow’. I’ll probably start with a pre-test and go from there. Playing it by ear this semester.

EdPuzzle this video, helps flip the classroom

Thanks for the analogy! I used to analogize a computer to an office. I did this since students often have a tough time conceptualizing the role of memory (especially with that misleading name), so my analogy compared memory to the desk space. However, I would always worry students would make some connection between the analogy “desk top” with the computer term “desktop” and get confused.

The kitchen analogy uses “counter top”, so it avoids this potential confusion, plus kitchens are probably more relatable and interesting to the students. :smile:

After a discussion on what they already know about computer hardware I will go over the parts of a computer and what they are used for. I will then have the students in groups of two go online to several computer sites (apple, Chromebook, & HP) and build a computer. After we will discuss their findings about difference options available, value for their dollar, limitations of prepackaged bundles, and what they were looking for in performance.

I plan to take one of our old computers apart and then have the kids try to guess the parts before we actually discuss what each is and what the function is.

I plan to use jigsaw reading on the parts of a computer from the Carnegie Melon Cyber Academy. Then I will have them interact with the parts of the computer by taking apart some old computers and identifying the physical components. I also will have them in groups discuss what they would want in a computer before having them interview someone outside of class.

I want to use a comparison matrix where students come up with criteria they would use to buy a computer, then weight each criteria. This fits with the reflections piece of what exactly they want to u the computer for. If time, I could assign different groups different scenarios (they are professional photographers or they want to design video games) so students can see how criteria would change.

I probably open up a cpu and explain each part as students identify them.

I have access to 20 retired CPUs, and I plan to have students open and layout parts. We will identify the parts, and conduct research via internet, of functions and uniques factors.

I plan on giving students a roleplay example as Genius Bar or Geek Squad experts that have to help customers with varying computing needs. Students will have to use descriptive feedback of hardware components in their responses.

Students will access the Carnegie Mellon website. I also posted 3 different videos on computer hardware on the school’s LMS.

Question: How do you plan to introduce students to the hardware components in computers? Share one creative idea with the other teachers.

I plan to have my students use our LMS to access the Carnegie website where they will read about the parts of a computer. Along with watching a short video that explains the parts. I will also have old computers lying out for them to look at the parts in person. I will then have them take a quiz (that can be taken until mastery) to help remember the roles of each part.

As students enter the class give them cards with the names of the different components on one side and questions that they need to research on the other side.
Give the students 10 min to research and find their information, have them share it with their elbow partner as a research check, then they will present them to the class

I will use pricewatch.com, this is a good resource it has motherboard,cpu,and ram combos. Some of the vendors within the website allow people to build a high performing computer.

I truly believe this is a topic that is something of interest to all ages. My suggestion is to walk in class with a big CPU and dressed like a “California Surf Dude” and start talking about all the amazing features this “baby” has (e.g. 1TB hard drive, quad core, etc.) as if he were trying to sell a car to someone. Then ask the students…“Which one of you know what you are buying when you think of buying a car?” Then the teacher should go on to explain that if you are buying an expensive item, you should at least know what you are getting versus buying the cheapest thing on the market.

I would like to have my students look at an opened up tower and try to identify some of the part of the computer in the lesson. Then they could use the Carnegie website to learn what each part does.

I plan to explain the components as compared to a human body. How each part is like a part of our body. I will use visuals and matching to achieve this.

I have a friend that works in a computer repair shop and he has agreed to provide my class with 4 “dead” computers so that we can pull them apart and identify all of the internal parts. Makes for a great hands-on activity for the kinesthetic and visual learners.

I would use the internet and supplied resources and ask student to research on their own the different components of a computer and make a small list or drawing of what they would like.
Students could list goals and preferences they have when shopping for a computer and use the internet to find the perfect machine for them.
You could discuss building computers and ask students to research components.