U1 Day 3-4: PD Discussion Topic

I have some old PC’s that I thought I might have students take apart. Each group would receive a part of the computer (which I would have labeled) and they would then create a short informative report using a WEB 2.0 tool that discusses the purpose and use of the part to present to the class.

There is also a video that was produced by the Computer Museum in Boston, MA called “Journey Inside the Computer” (or something similar) I have an old copy in VHS format, but I’m sure it could be found in DVD format. It is a little outdated as far as the technology goes, but it is still valuable information. If anyone is familiar with a more up-to-date video, I would love to know about it.

Firstly, I plan to print out as a poster the picture of the computers parts with labels to be used with old pc’s we have for students in groups of 3 to break open and explore.

Then I will ask them to assemble the computer virtually using this CISCO link: http://umhelena.edu/VirtualComputers/Desktop/en_ITEPC_VA_Desktop_v40/RootMovie.swf

Finally, they can test if their virtual computer will work.

Wow, what a great analogy!
Thanks for sharing it.

I’ve started preparing an old computer for my students to open it and view the actual parts.
My classroom will be divided to teams/groups each team will be responsible for one part to explain to the rest of the class.

When teaching about computer components I have several old computers that students can access and label. Students are put into groups and assigned a computer, they are able to open the computer, label the parts and explain the processes the computer goes through when it is turned on. Students have a chance to collaborate and then are quizzed on the different components.

I’d have them go take their phones and research all the hardware and software parts. After a discussion, students will then look at their desktops at home and identify all hardware and software. I’d then bring in a computer and have students label parts with sticky-notes where we’ll investigate these items in dept.

I like this idea, I hope to have time to have groups go around and test each other with the actual hardware.

Thank you for the idea.

Like others, plan on using old computers to show the kids the actual parts of a computer and let them removed the parts and look at them

As part of the Computer Buying Project, I’ll have students research a specialized computer to see if it would fit the needs of the “customer.”

My first idea to facilitate a deeper understanding of the different parts of the hard drive was to jigsaw the parts to different groups and have them research and teach the class about the significance of that particular part.

My students are taught via distance education, without a computer teacher in the classroom. I assigned a presentation for the students to complete. It could be google, prezi or powerpoint.

I have several computers old and new around my classroom, laptops too. I crack open each of the cases and then describe each of the hardware components. Then on one of the old computers I take everything out and i have the students put it back together as they tell which part they have and where it goes.

I like to start simple by having the kids categorize items into hardware or software on the SMART Board. I then show them a variety of older parts including motherboards, Etc. I’m really enjoying the ideas shared here and plan to implement many of them.

I will provide old computers for the students. Each group of 6-7 students will learn to identify 7 parts and their purposes. They must ensure that all of their group can ID each part. At the end, I give a group quiz, randomly asking the group member to locate one of the parts and tell me it’s function. The whole group gets the same grade. The computers are different models, so the layout is not the same for each computer, and they don’t know which computer they will be tested on.

I actually have a bin of parts from an old A+ Computer repair class. Plus a few computers that students built that have clear side panels. So I will probably pull those out and let the students pass around some of the parts.

In the past I have used a web page that showed the inside of a computer that has clickable parts which bring up more information about each part. Unfortunately, it is now very old (in computer terms), and I may use the CMU web page instead.

A project that I have done for several years, and will continue to do, is to give students a scenario where they can buy a customizable computer where they have a budget and must buy a storage device (HD/SSD), and optical drive (CD/DVD/Blu-Ray), a sound card, and a graphics card. On my web page I set up a small “store” with limited options in each category (you could have them use TigerDirect or similar sites, but the choices would be overwhelming). I have them start with a paragraph describing what they plan to do with the computer so they can use that as a guide to what components they should purchase. I explain to them that is a good way to go about buying anything, like a car or a house, not just a computer. After the paragraph explaining what they’re going to do with the computer, they have to do one paragraph describing each component they purchased and why it was a good component to purchase. In the last paragraph they describe their satisfaction with the computer they have built, and how their purchases would have been different if they had an extra $100 to spend.

Best way to do it is hands on with a few old PC’s they can take apart and put together as teams.

I got a nonfunctioning desktop from the IT department and opened it up for the students. Took off the heat sink and took a look at the processor, let students remove RAM, etc, while I told them about what each component does. Also pointed out the many capacitors and transistors and their role in storing and releasing charge (charge / no charge - binary).

I would show them a video of the or any additional resources that will enable students to know the inner workings of the computer. Help them to identify the parts of the computer that are important in the daily use.