U1 Day 11-14: PD Discussion Topic

How do you plan to relate this lesson to Computer Science and keep your students excited about the concepts? What other resources might you use in the lesson (for example, if you don’t have access to photoshop, what kind of tools could you used)? Please post the image you created to this forum.

If you have any other thoughts or questions about this lesson, feel free to post those in the forum as well!

I really wish that we would have gone over this lesson during the PD. I’m not used to making artistic designs on the computer and would have benefited from the lesson in class. With regard to resources, I believe my school has access to photoshop, but they can always use google sketch up to create designs. There was also a really cool code.org lesson from the Hour of Code with different designs.

I plan to relate this lesson to computer science by having students realize that the designs that they are picturing can be replicated with a computer. I think they’ll be able to see this when we do some of the activities such as the Rug Weaving. I’m going to supplement this with a program called @Folding which allows students to see DNA being mapped out. I think they’ll appreciate the art that goes into the biology and computer science concepts.

1 Like

Hi Kimberly,

This is Jessie from Code.org. Thanks for your feedback!

I’ve made a note about including the Day 11-14 lesson in the in-person PD. I’ll bring it up to the ECS team here at Code.org and we’ll see what we can do!

Thanks,
Jessie

2 Likes

At the end of the video is a graphic of companies using this technology. I think I will have the students find one company and design something that that company could market in their store

I’ll start with the easy question to answer and work to the difficult ones… I plan on using… < http://pixlr.com/editor/ > and the ‘Preview’ app (native on Macs) as a photo editor.

I’m an environmental biologist first and a CS educator 2nd. Generally If I’m passionate about something, my student will be as well. I plan on opening this lesson by helping my students discover what the world’s biggest problems are < http://www.arlingtoninstitute.org/wbp/portal/home > (which are all linked to the issue of human population growth). Next, we will proceed to how that problem can be solved using <http://www.gapminder.org/videos/will-saving-poor-children-lead-to-overpopulation/ > and < http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_on_global_population_growth?language=en >. Next, using evidence (data) and data visualization via <http://www.gapminder.org/world> Next, using this guide <http://www.gapminder.org/GapminderMedia/wp-uploads/tutorial/Gapminder_World_Guide.pdf > students will then have an opportunity to set up their own data visualizations that supports or reject the hypothesis that human population growth is the biggest problem and the hypothesis that helping the poorest people of the world is the solution. From there we will discuss design and modeling tools as a way to accomplish that goal. All of the links for this idea and more can be found @ < http://edu.symbaloo.com/mix/ecsunit1-hci 7> within the ‘GapMinder World’ folder.

Here is an example of an image of the data visualization that was created using GapMinder World to support the hypothesis put forward during the lesson regarding the solution for reducing human population.

1 Like

I could use this lesson Google Draw, but it much more limited. I will also look at Google Sketch (Thanks, kdye1989) I plan to use the three video provided to clarify the connection. Here is my design.

I agree that this would have been great to go over during our week of PD. I really don’t have much experience designing images on a computer, but with some playing around I was able to create a simple geometric design on the basket weaver so I’m sure that even students with little to no background (like me!) would be able to create something.
I’m not sure if we have access to photoshop at my school, but I looked into google sketch and google draw (thanks for the tips!) and may be able to incorporate those into my lesson.

After using a basic journalizing quesiton, I like the idea of using programs that studentsd are familiar with as well as somethinking like the creation of an Avatar. I believe students will be able to relate to the topic if they start by comparing it to an outline used to create an essay. This is something they are already familiar with. If you begin with the familiar and expand their knowledge, students will have an easier time relating.

I plan on sharing the videos with the students and extend the lesson to include the fitness industry that now offers sportswear with sensors to capture your fitness data for analysis http://www.gizmag.com/heddoko-sportswear-motion-capture/35826/

I had fun playing with the rug weaver software package but found parts frustrating.
Here is my result (not perfect).

I would have my students access their favorite Video Games and document where they see that 3D Animation is being used to graphically display the characters in the video game. I would ask that they determine how the character is using various movements to enact their role to (example: Fight As A Warrior / Use Military Arsenal To Shoot at the Enemy, Rocketships, etc. I would have the students identify a single game through collaboration and concensus that they could agree to to try to design one of the characters.

Students could select from games made by companies such as EA Games, Activision, Capcom etcto discuss which Video Gaming Designer produces the best games for ages 14 - 18 (Grades 9 -`12)

Students could select from the Equipment Manufactures of Gaming Products such as Nintendo, Sega, PS3 , PS4, XBox to collaborate and discuss which of the Video Gaming Manufactures produce the product that students ages 14 - 18 (Grades 9 -12) are most likely to get, and evaluate through a Compare / Contrast Model.

I love this assignment and think this will get my kids very excited (and possibly a little impatient) for what they can create.
I wasn’t able to paint my image to include it here though. :frowning:

I plan to discuss the relationship of patterns and problem solving with CS. Students will need to be able to explain how they can create their design with a maneagable number of steps (just the overall process, not every single step). I enjoyed playing around with the different design software and I believe my students will as well.

2 Likes

i really enjoyed how the math connection found in this lesson. Especially since im going to be teaching 9th graders predominately in geometry. Being a geometry teacher, i am excited to connect what they learn regarding transformations and rigid motions in geometry to this lesson. I think the students will enjoy creation their own designs.

I plan to relate this lesson to computer science by showing a few designs completed by on a computer and allowing them to play around with some different type of design tools as well as paint and photoshop.

I plan to connect this lesson with mathematics as there is an emphasis in coordinate geometry. This is touched upon as they read about the cultural relevance and we engage in these concepts during whole class discussions. To help keep students engaged in the lesson we will watch the videos provided in this PD and I will help focus their learning by providing questions for them to answer in their journals. I will also show them my own designs I have created and will give them plenty of time to explore the software tools. I want to emphasize that students should experiment with all the different functions and to have fun. I will also challenge them to use the various functions to minimize the number of steps they need to complete to create their desired images.

This type of technology has been around for years, but it is only now that this technology is exploding because of the ease of the design software available. What an exciting time to be alive

i’m fortunate in that my school focuses heavily on project based learned. I should be able to incorporate some of these lessons into students designing a project of some type.

Students will be engaged by their love of video games, cinema and fashion. I will use Trimble SketchUp to have students explore 3D design and use our MakerBot to print some 3D models and discuss how both of these things work and relate to computer science.