U1 Day 10: PD Discussion Topic

What aspects of this lesson are you looking forward to? What big take-aways do you anticipate your students having?

If you have any other thoughts or questions about this lesson, feel free to post those in the forum as well!

I’m looking forward to seeing the link between student interpretation of the various forms of data as well as their learning styles. I wonder if some students will feel that they are at an advantage with the list rather than the picture.

At first, I was a little confused about the concept of this lesson because it was introduced to us at the end of the activity. When I figured out that the best way to collect data depends on your interpretations and your intended uses, it clicked. I wonder how I can get my students to have this same take-away without giving away this idea. I want them to get to this point, too; however, I don’t want them to be confused about the purpose of the activity while they are in the middle of it.

I think I will have groups of students create their own examples either based on someone in the group or with someone they make up, and then describe that person in writing as they create the list or the drawing. Then groups can switch the data (without the descriptions), and make observations/inferences in writing, so groups can then get together to figure out what translated and what didn’t, and how. This leads into the discussion of pros/cons of the data as well.

I’m looking forward to my students developing a new appreciation of data as the "new soil’, and CS as a means to till that soil so it can be used to bring forth fruit. I will be introducing them to GapMinder ( http://www.gapminder.org/ ) as a data visualization tool and this video < https://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_on_global_population_growth > as an example of how relevant use of good visualization technique can be used to inform decision making.

I would like to give students a topic that they have some interest or background in and have them generate a graphic representation similar to the video. Like cars or games.

My students will be shocked at how much information is in a small amount of data. Hopefully, I can work with our Probability and Statistics teachers in a collaborative assignment.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to seeing students make connections between types of data in the Room Activity.
To help my students to see the significance of how data is represented I want to have them come up with examples of information that can lead a viewer to a different conclusion if presented differently. (For example, China’s army has a huge number of people but actually doesn’t represent a huge percent of its population compared to other countries.)

One of the biggest aspects of this lesson I am looking forward to is exposing my students to multiple representations of data. In addition, how different data and its representations can be used to tell a story. I think my students, at the end of the lesson, will have a better grasp of what data is, what gives data, and ow it can be used.

1 Like

I would like for my students to identify the type of data that effects them, and what sources are used to be able to access this information. High School students are constantly check their Grades (which is a form of Data designating their Academic Progress). In our School District both Teachers, Students, and Parents have access to an Electronic Grading System (PINNACLE) which will be able to keep them informed at all times on their progress. Students have the ability to compare their grades in each of their classes, can identify future assignments and due dates, have the ability to check on their Attendance Record, etc. I would have my students discuss within their groups HOW and IF they review Pinnacle on a Regular Basis, and to compare with others the Advantages of Accessing Pinnacle Regularly vs the Potential Consequences of not accessing Pinnacle on a regular basis.

Teachers, Students, and Parents also have access to Data on their Standardized Testing in the area of Reading, Writing, and Math. I would have students compare with each other how they utilize this Electronic Standardized System (VIRTUAL COUNSELOR) to review their academic progress as a potential resource to improve their Standardized Test Scores as they matriculate from Grade to Grade> I would have my students discuss within their groups HOW and IF they review Virtual Counselor to determine the Advantages of doing so, versus the Potential Consequences of not doing so.

Years ago we did not have storage capacity or quick retrieval for data. Now we have plenty of storage and the interesting need is analysis and representation of data.

I look forward to students seeing the progression of data representation to date and imagining the future of where “Telling a Story with Data” will be in the next 5 - 10 years.

Understanding your data and what you want to do with it is so important. I want to tap into students’ creative side with representing data.

Another good video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz_kIDxbzGA Ben Wellington: How we found the worst place to park in New York City — using big data

I’m hoping my kids will come away with an understanding that data may be interpreted in more than one way. I plan on using the picture and word list for this lesson as we did in our training class.

In a time before the iPhone was invented, I designed a data collection tool where phones collected usage data (data that described to engineers and marketers how phones are used so that a better phone can be designed). The value of this data was not a well understood concept. As we developed the tool I would often receive comments from engineers that we had no time to develop this data usage collection tool (called iDoctor) and that they had more important projects to work on. I then asked the engineer how many of our customers (phone users) actually used the application they were working on. The answer, of course was not known. I then commented on why it was important to develop the iDoctor tool that collected usage data so we could know how many users used applications and if these applications should even be worked on.

I have many examples about how data tells a story from my work at Motorola. This is one area where I am an expert and will enjoy bringing my experiences to the classroom.

1 Like

I am looking forward to my students realizing how data representation can manipulate the way they interpret the data. It is such an important realization to understand that information can be influenced by its presentation.

As a math teacher I have worked with my students in exploring different methods for representing data and how it can be interpreted based on those representations. We have looked at and compared accurate methods of visual representations with methods that can lead to a biased opinion. I think this lesson will lead to an extension of this very dialogue that is meaningful to explore. I especially like the idea that data needs to be viewed along with relevant figures in order to make valid interpretations, such as the example of military spending amongst different nation that was discussed in the video. This explains the idea that the context of a data set is just as important as using an accurate visual display of that data.

The thing that I’m hoping my students grasp is that the same data can be interpreted differently for different purposes. I am looking forward to the most is seeing what my students can come up with as part of their class participation project.

Based on seeing the different answers and representations presented at our PD, I look forward to seeing the creative answers that different groups of students give.
I want students to understand that data is everywhere, rather than just something that is used in science or math. I want them to experience that data can be manipulated to alter the story, depending on the emphasis. We will continue to touch on this throughout the course to help them think critically.

This video was quite interesting regarding using data. By graphically displaying the data it allows learners with a quick snapshot of the huge amounts of data that bombards our senses on a daily basis. I would use David’s ides by assigning my students the task of coming up with their own visual graph regarding a topic of their choice

I hope to see my students grasp the idea of telling a story with data of different types represented in a variety of ways. Using the data exercise is quite revealing to me in the pd as to how a picture is worth a thousand words so to speak.

I would use some of the data graphs from XKCD, a webcomic, as a further example. This is something that students could easily do on their own as well.

I am looking forward to discussing how our data is used online and why apps are “free”. I think students will become more conscious of what they do online and realize they are the products for most of the apps they use.