U1 Day 3-4: PD Discussion Topic

I would have students independently research utilizing the internet, then come together in class in groups to share idea’s then have them present the ideas to everyone in class.

Love the kitchen analogy! I think it’s important for students to visually see the parts of the computer we are discussing, so we will definitely be “dissecting” a computer.

For my demographic, the interview and research is the right way to go. By having them talk to someone who may not be as into computers as they purport to be, this gives them a reality check.

The students are heavily “into” computers already. While I see value in this lesson, I would have felt it more useful to have them look more deeply into the evolution and history of the parts (again, for my demographic)

I will separate students in groups of four and give each group a large piece of paper and instruct them to create a poster of hardware components and share out with the class.

We didn’t do this but our local IT and tech-support guys have old computers that they would let us open up, disassemble and use to show the kids actual hardware. One lesson might be to identify components on the motherboard by using Google images and identification numbers on the hardware.

I would create vocabulary cards with the words and other cards with the pictures. Then I would distribute all of the cards to the students and have them try to match up correctly.

LOVE this…may borrow!

Jigsaw method- I plan to dismantle 4 old laptops and give each group a different piece to feel, and research.

I have students tear down old obsolete computers and identify their basic components. Then put them back together again…

I usually try to have an old tower on hand that I can open up in class and pull apart. I pass out the pieces to the students so the lesson is literally hands-on. I also have a few student volunteers try to put it back together again. I also like to have an old hard drive that I can open up and show them the inside as well.

I could have them make a presentation - My Dream Computer. With at least 10 components, including some that might not really exist yet, to get them thinking about the possibilities.

I plan to have use the online resources to allow my students to explore a digtial copies of the inside of the computer. Once I feel my students have a good grasp of the different I will have my students explore a computer that has been retired by the school.

I will have students write down two historical facts on a stickem and then have all the students post the stickems on a flip chart. Next I would have the students work in groups to make a list on a flip chart of as many common elements of a computer as possible and let the groups share these with the class. Third, I would have the class participate in an open discussion of other computers that were not mentioned in the video.

I agree that this is a great way to get this point across.

I like this idea. It is a good way to help students understand the concept.

My lesson outline and links to supportive docs and case study in a google doc:

I like the ideal of having the students work in a team to work on a presentation about the different parts of a computer. I would provide a rubric so that all students would know what the requirements are associated with the presentation. I think this type of team work would encourage the students to share of ideals and work together successfully.

Hi Dbutera2,

Thanks so much for sharing! I think these types of resources will be really helpful for fellow teachers. If you have any other resources you create please share them too! Also you can share them to the ECS Resource Folder which we are trying to grow.

The resource folder can be found at: http://bit.ly/code-ecs-teacher-resources
There is a how to document to tell you how to submit resources.

Dani

In the past, I have taken the cover off a computer tower case. I have students come up in small groups to see the inside of a computer case. We take the parts(hard drive, cables, motherboard, memory, etc) out to illustrate each. Many students have never seen the inside of a computer case. The students love to look at the old hard drives which have been opened up so the students can see the disk and parts.

A neat site that I found was http://www.kids-online.net/learn/c_n_l.html.
It has several difficulty levels in it for students to click on the photo to see a picture and description of the various hardware components inside the computer.