U2 Challenge Decisions

Day 10-12 Binary Lesson was the lesson I did. I gave the kids the url and had them first explore what was offered. Then we met as a class and discussed their findings. after that I had them come up with an explanation of what is binary is and how it works.

My U2 Challenge work is provided below.

Challenge-1PageLessonOverviewKWingate.pdf (160.3 KB)

Great lesson overview! What do you think the CS content would be?

Hi Janettie, I just sent a request to access your lesson plan.
Thanks in advance!

Looks like a fun activity Kentellia!

Awesome! I wish I saw that clip from Numb3rs before I learned about the algorithm!

For the Unit 2 Challenge I have been working with some of Curie Condor Colleagues on the Final Project.

https://docs.google.com/a/cps.edu/document/d/1LcqxrogxQGy8tYjn7ZXXjLsXpolGc7mHnTS-oxafIxo/edit?usp=sharing

Attached please find the lesson on binary.

Challenge-1PageLessonOverviewTemplate.pdf (103.4 KB)

Attached please find the worksheet for the binary lesson.

Binary assignment1.docx (12.2 KB)

I would like to do the lesson on cornrow and would like to have a partner.

I will be working on a lesson from Day 10-12: Binary.

Please find attached the one page overview for sorting.
U2Challenge-1PageLessonOverview-CourtneyVanessa.pdf (110.6 KB)

I will be working on Unit 2 Lesson 13 and 14 which introduces the linear and binary search algorithms

I will be doing the Binary lesson. I do not need a partner.

Hi everyone. Is anyone else planning to work on the cornrow curve lesson? @linda_raines is looking for a partner. Thanks!

I did completely unplugged activities to teach algorithms. These included strips of paper instead of candy bars, handshakes, fence, tower, etc. I found that the students were able to better apply the concept online once they learned it offline.

OK. I want to have the kids write a scratch program that converts binary to base 10 and eventually to numbers and to have them create a little “texting” program so that two characters can send messages to eachother.

David and I worked on the Cornrow braiding.
Here is the link

I also did Binary. Being that we are in Virginia, I had my students act as though they were trying out for a position in the CIA where they had to both write and decipher clues in Binary. Students then placed their clues for the other group around the school and other groups had to find them decipher them, answer a question, which they answered in binary and then moved to where the deciphered clue led them.

@sctate, that’s such a great way to engage your students! I bet they has lots of fun with that activity!

I would like to create a variation of the final project. In order to make it a little more exciting for students I will have them collect resources in the case of a zombie apocalypse.