U2 Challenge Decisions

I will be working on the binary lesson (Days 10 - 12)

I would be working on Day 17 with the minimal spanning tree lesson. My plan is to have them complete the Muddy City project and then I plan to have them complete a similar project. My idea is to have them plan the shortest distance from our school to a popular destination such as the mall. They will need to look at different routes and take into account obstacles, speed limits, weather, etc.

I will be working on the linear and binary search lesson.

Google Slides Day 13-14 Binary and Linear Search

1 Like

I will be doing the lesson on Binary.

@james_gundlach I like the color/food activities! I wonder what would happen if the lesson started with the unplugged activity and then went to real-world applications.

Day 10 - 12 - Binary

I hope this is the right place to post this. This is the second time Iā€™ve taught this lesson, and I added a few things to my activities. I made a SmartBoard activity that uses the ā€œfipperā€ tiles with binary dots on them for the students to play with. I have a couple of students who canā€™t sit still an entire class period, so this is a good opportunity to have them get up and do something productive instead of wandering aimlessly. I can send the file to anyone who would like it. Send me an email if you are interested.
Binary Lesson 1-Pager

My two resources are the video ā€œBinary Numbers and Base Systems as Fast as Possibleā€ (from 0:00-3:45) which I added to my lesson, as well as my SmartBoard flipper game.

I am uncertain as to what my ā€œartifactā€ should be.

I intend to work on the Binary lesson plan spanning days 10 thru 12. I am currently working on modifying the lesson plan to allow students to act out a dialog in groups using themselves as binary digits to represent quantities. I am currently working alone, and OK with that.

The cK-12 website looks very interesting. Thanks for the inforamtion.

I will implement Day 17 the Minimal spanning trees. This activity is useful to find the best possible solutions and to avoid redundancyMinimal Spannig Trees - Costanza.docx (28.0 KB) .

@jac4171, I really like your real-world connection between minimal spanning trees and your local museums.

I will be working with day 10-12 Binary.

Challenge Unit 2.docx (23.5 KB)

This is Day 10-12 Binary

I will be doing Day 16-15 Sorting Algorithems

I am doing the cornrows challenge

I did an applications in binary numbers lesson where I created a scavenger hunt with binary numbers to encode a message. I then had the students encode an image using rows of 8 bit binary numbers. The kids enjoyed the lesson and I think it helped them understand the importance of binary to a computer.

I decided to teach the binary lesson. Once complete, I had the students get in groups and had them design a lesson plan to teach the numbering systems with a base 3, another groups teach the numbering system with a base 4, and so on. I told them that one group would present their lesson to the class This gave them practice with other numbering systems to build on what they had learned with a base 2 (binary) numbering system.

I worked on binary numbers. I utilized another free site to reinforce what we discussed in class.

www.everfi.com Course: RADIUS missions 1-3
Lesson Plan
https://docs.google.com/a/pgcps.org/document/d/1xKGA0EqzFIhzuo7lyz2RZzsDOfT1DAlB3zBAFH0i_xI/edit?usp=sharing

Worksheet
[Binary Practice]
[1]: https://docs.google.com/a/pgcps.org/document/d/1aY7YWyiVHFSFI1ZhUT-QoE-tye44KOnv6gHRinoG0qQ/edit?usp=sharing

Dā€™Netra,

Thanks for sharing the Google Docs with me - this looks great! Just one suggestion - is there anyway you can make it a game or challenge to convert the Decimal to Binary or Binary to Decimal? Computers do this and then map to ASCII to get letters (Iā€™ve had them spell out things using a ASCII chart), but you could possibly do something like a Breakout EDU where students are working together to ā€œbreak the binary codeā€ - just thoughts!

Also check out the CISCO Binary Game (might want to mute your sound before) for practice!

Brad

I will be working on Binary numbers Days 10 - 12 Unit 2