Unit 3 Teaching Strategies Discussion

We’ve had to go slower through the curriculum.

I’ve noticed that the students are more engaged with learning with this style of teaching. The students benefit by owning the skills they are learning which builds their confidence. My students have responded positively to this style of teaching.

Students have become independent thinkers. They are not afraid to explore and investigate options.

This approach has helped create a classroom environment where we are learning together. It has helped me be flexible and be able to respond to all of my students emerging needs. Students want to participate more knowing that all answers are valuable to our discussions. They have also responded by being more creative, which has pushed my teaching to another level.

I can’t believe what a transition this has been for me as a teacher…What a difference it makes as a whole classroom setting, when the kids feel like they all own a part of what others are learning and that they own their own learning. I have never been so excited to teach and learn in my 17 years of teaching as I have this Fall. The collaboration is exciting to watch, and the sharing that happens in the room, with out fear of being wrong, or the fear of asking a dumb question…that ATMOSPHERE is amazing!!!

1 Like

I currently teach at an inquiry based academy. So students are responding well to this format. I have taught the last five years using this method. The students are a little overwhelmed with the journaling and the constant presentations. Our school is based on tenets: Problem Solving, Content Knowledge, Written Communication, Presentation Skills, Technology, Collaboration, and Work Ethics, So even though this format dovetails with our tenets students are constantly being told to present in this class at the same time they are being required to present in other classes as well.

I the facilitator method allows for great communication and collaboration and allows students to shine in areas where they excel. Students are able to explore and learn independently.

Students are independent learners and are using more critical thinking skills to solve problems. Last week one of my students mentioned that we do not use a book although we are learning a lot!!! Students are also learning how to ask for help for each other and to collaborate on ideas.

There are many benefits to being the coach in the classroom. My students are more willing to take risk. They enjoy teaching each other and sharing their views when attempting to solve problem. It is fun to watch them try new things.

I think in teaching we as teachers really hit every level depending on the content, the class, and the curriculum. I try to stay more at the facilitator level, students get more out of the content, better contribution from the students, and more interactive.

[quote]What benefits have you noticed in your class with this style of teaching so far this year? What benefits have you noticed in your class for your students? How have your students responded to this style of learning?
[/quote]

I have noticed that my students are still quite uncomfortable with the open ended nature of the assignments. The old “one right answer” and “do as the teacher says” mindset is still very ingrained in my students. The students who have embraced this new style of learning are enjoying it quite a bit though. Their answers are more thoughtful and more well reasoned than when they started the class.

This has been a natural fit for me, and for most of my students. I had to change the timeline up a bit due to school activities and am doing HTML out of sequence and also for it to coincide with HOC coming in December. I’m pleased to see how students are using each other for resources rather than expecting me to know everything about every facet of HTML.

For the most part, students enjoy pairing up or teaming up to obtain ideas from each other, even though it is a different approach from what they are traditionally used to. It is a more engaging approach overall. As a teacher I much prefer the “coaching” method and allow students to learn from each other discover away.

I believe that my students have benefitted tremendously. They are becoming more and more independent learners. They are starting to ask internalize the problem solving process and applying it to different aspects of their lives.

1 Like

My students get in to the projects and activities but at times they seem a little simplistic for them. In addition, many of the online resource links are no longer valid and that creates issues, especially when it’s a resource that I had really looked forward to using. (Re: Growing Up Online video) I’m thinking that since we are now moving into HTML and Scratch… my class will find the lessons more engaging and though provoking.

Working collaboratively in groups is not an easy task. At the beginning of the school year I used to hear more of “me” than “we” or “my group”.
The problem solving process allows the students to discover what they did wrong and fix it themselves.

Jeffrey,

Completely agree, a lot of the material is outdated and I find myself asking students to look beyond the technology (mainly thinking of the flip phones and MySpace in “Growing Up Online”) and asking them to translate it to today’s modern world. A great resource is the free online book “Blown to Bits” and although it is a bit outdated (they are writing a new one) it asks bigger picture questions that can get students thinking and making connections to their world.

Brad

A benefit I have noticed so far this year is that different students have an opportunity to take the role of leader. Depending on the topic or task, students who are usually passive find situations that call for them to offer their insight or expertise. My class only has 30% female students. I try to put at least one female in each group. The girls are learning to find ways of negotiating with the guys and making their knowledge and viewpoint recognized by their teams. The strategies used in this class are still new to me and my students. It is sometimes awkward or even uncomfortable to get through some of the activities. I learned the concept of ample wait time early in my career. But, after a leading question, there is often what feels like eons of silence until someone will volunteer a comment.

With the class being entirely freshman, I have been pleasantly surprised of how hard they work and the projects they produce. I doubted that this teaching style would be effective. My students have proven me wrong.

I have always taught my computer classes this way. As much choice in projects as possible.