Unit 3 Teaching Strategies Discussion

I find with the coaching role that it gives students more room to be creative and go deeper into the topic area if they are able to. I have enjoyed seeing what they come up with in their projects

Students are able to contribute their own ideas and collaborate with each other. More of a facilitator role for teacher, lessons allow students to think critically.

My students enjoy doing the hands on activities and being actively involved in the learning.

I apply hands on techniques. I make a presentation that includes a brief explanation of the lesson and then, I ask students to work while walking around the class to monitor their work and answer any questions. This technique is more student-centered and it allows cooperative learning. Hands on training can be easily applied in Computer Science class. The technique is more challenged for the students, and consequently, they are more engaged.

I think that the biggest benefit to this style of teaching is that it allows different ability groups to move at their own pace. By establishing a base line rubric of requirements for assignments, students can then push forward at their own pace, while I as the teacher am able to help the struggling students keep up with the basic requirements.

Students love the freedom of choice and independence.

1 Like

This method of teaching fits me perfectly ā€“ I have never been the type to just tell the students the answer. Iā€™m much more likely to say ā€œbeats me, how can YOU figure it out?ā€ It does not bother me to tell students that I donā€™t know an answer. It benefits the kids because they recognize that its ok to not know how to do something ā€“ we can figure it out.

1 Like

I am an expert in what I teach. I must admit that I like being a facilitator or coach, but I do like having the knowledge of aiding the student when required. I can also show other ways of doing things when the students think they have mastered the material. Keep them learning at all times and show them that there is more than one way to skinā€¦ well, you know.

That being said, I do like challenging the students to figure out how to learn on their own more so than simply recalling or remembering what a teacher lectures.

A benefit I have noticed is that the students are forced to try.

The students response has been mixed. When confusion or frustration starts to reveal itself I use my expertise and guide them along the right pathā€¦

Lamberto

1 Like

Students take ownership of their learning. They also improve their meta-cognition through peer-to-peer interaction, which introduces new ways of learning content. Students feel more empowered to and motivated to engage with rigor. My students have responded well, because they see the reward from the effort they put into inquiry and taking on assignments. They also like to share their experiences and express their pleasure when they complete a task. This motivates other students to engage with the assignments.

1 Like

Students respond better when they are engaged in the lesson. The activities of ECS encourage students to accept being their own experts. Students engage cognitively with lessons when they are engaged in specific challenges, and not simply when they are receivers of data.

I think students can also learn when I donā€™t know the answer. Great time to model problem-solving and develop life-long learning skills!

Andrea

What benefits have you noticed in your class with this style of teaching so far this year? What benefits have you noticed in your class for your students? How have your students responded to this style of learning?

I find that students like being engaged but also still need a little prodding when there is a problem to solve. If you ask them to find the answer they want to give up - I have had to somewhat distract them and start a conversation and ask leading questions without being obvious to get them to ā€œthinkā€ and ā€œsolveā€

The students have become more independent in problem solving (looking for the answer for themselves vs. automatically asking me how to find the answer). Students have become better presenter. The students were hesitant initially, but came around.

It took me a while to give up controlling every aspect of the lesson. Acting as a facilitator allows me to work more freely with the students who are struggling to come up with the answer. I enjoy walking around the classroom observing students interacting with each other as they try to solve problems; especially the quiet, withdrawn student.

Students have enjoyed being in control of the learning and having a voice in the classroom. I agree with other post that the students do get sick of the journaling, but in the end I see it as a powerful tool for students to be able to reflect on the learning process and gather their thoughts. It makes the class discussion, so much richer.

It took a while for my students to adjust to the ECS approach, as most of their other classes are typically lecture based. Once buy-in was received from students I have noticed a much more engaged class, and students who actually care about learning. They still get frustrated that I donā€™t necessarily tell them the answers, but are empowered when they come to a working solution to problems.

Student have become independent learners. They discuss and problem solve the content. I am use as an expert for input.

1 Like

It places the learning process back on them, instead of waiting for the teacher to lead them to their conclusion they are having to find them for themselves. Some have jumped on board and some still want to be told what to do.

The result were very good. They paid attention and they were actually learning a lot better; It made the class a lot more productive and fun. I was happy to see the kids collaborating and exchanging more ideas than before. I really enjoyed being a facilitator.