Unit 5 Hackathon

Is there a specific reason why students are being assigned the role of Programmer or Designer? It seems like the Designer role will not be practicing the coding skills they need to be developing as much as the Programmer Role. Any thoughts are appreciated.

• Carl

@cshuptrine Thanks for raising this important question. The roles of Designer and Programmer are available to give students specific responsibilities for the project. However, both students should be participating by designing screens and programming through collaboration. After the screens have been created and shared, there are lots of opportunities for pair programming. In a virtual environment, students can have the option to build individual apps or work together in breakout rooms if they are available.

In addition, this project was designed to mimic parts of the Create Task. In working with a partner on the Create Task, each student does not need to be involved in all the programming, but they DO need to be able to explain how it all works in the Written Response.

Hello, My students have been working with Hackathon project for a few days. I have had quite a few students with the same error. ā€œWARNING: Line: 35: setText() text parameter value (undefined) is not a uistring.ERROR: Line: 35: TypeError: Cannot read property ā€˜toStringā€™ of undefinedā€ At first glance their programs look fine. Iā€™m a decent at programming and Iā€™ve been able to find most errors to help fix, but there are still a couple that are elusive. I have gotten better at finding errors, but Iā€™m spending a lot of time trying to find the reasons and then the fixes. Iā€™ve Googled the warning and the articles Iā€™ve found are not very helpful. Any suggestions on pinpointing the error to save a very tired teacher some time. Thank you.

1 Like

Could you provide the link to the project?

When my students were seeing this, it was often caused by a call to a filtered array that had not yet had anything appended to it, or it was expecting a text string and was seeing a numeric value. Often the former happened when the condition they were checking evaluated false and skipped over an append command effectively creating an empty array. I hope some of that makes senseā€¦Iā€™m tired tooā€¦:relieved:

1 Like

My students also saw this when they tried to access past the end of the list. Usually the list.length versus (list.length - 1) problem.

A student is using the Covid data and wants to show the most recent dayā€™s numbers. Is there a way to code the filter to do this?

You can filter by the Date column. COVID-19 Cases per Country has not been updated since 2/14. COVID-19 Cases per US State was updated yesterday.

She is filtering the State and date columns. She wanted a way that it automatically updates in the code to show the most recent date. Is there a way to code that it will update the results automatically?

Find the latest (maximum) date in the database then filter by that date to get the latest data.