Using ChatGPT and AI tools to generate lesson plans

I’m curious if people have found success using AI to generate lesson plans. I have a colleague who used ChatGPT to generate a lesson on Object Oriented Programming. In the lesson, students added in code underneath ChatGPT generated comments, which instructed them to create different shape objects that were subclasses of a Polygon parent class.

I also found this article about a high school CS teacher who used ChatGPT to generate a lesson plan on wearable technology. And another teacher who used the documentary Coded Bias to teach about bias in AI technology.

What lesson plans have you generated with AI tools?

1 Like

We have been exploring AI concepts and tools fairly openly in our district. Teachers have been introduced to ChatGPT as a creation and support tool to help teachers create and develop materials in line with Universal Design for Learning concepts. Teachers have been exploring and creating summaries, varied reading levels of content, exemplar examples, rubrics, as well as lesson plans.

I have not finished at this point, but I started developing an entire course on AI. It is not a priority for curriculum today, so it has been slow going. Using my own course expectations as a starting point, I used Chat GPT to get an entire course outline. Then I recursively asked for:

• A unit outline
  • Notes of specific topics within each unit (and further details as needed)
  • Lesson plans for each topic point
  • Activity design for suggestions I like
  • Project suggestions for each unit
  • Project design for suggestions I like
  • I can also ask for key elements in curriculum development such as driving questions, unit goals, and more to be included in the development

This is an exciting process and through collaboration with my colleague and Chat GPT, I feel we can develop an AI course that fits our specific needs in much less time than is otherwise possible. Other than adopting a canned curriculum, I’ve never been able to ‘develop’ new content so quickly.

4 Likes

I have started experimenting with ChatGPT I asked it to create a lesson plan about Python with accommodations and a 10-question assessment. I have also used it to create a slide outline for a lesson and it does a pretty good job of giving me a starting point.

The ability to have ChatGPT create assessments along with the outline or lesson plan is awesome. I just keep asking it to do things and I try to get as specific as possible. If I want 10 multiple choice questions I make sure I ask for a “10 multiple choice question assessment”.

I got the idea from this blog: 100 Prompts for Teachers to Ask ChatGPT

1 Like

I was in a small group of teachers today, and we were working on doing something kind for our “future selves”- planning ahead for the start of the year next school year. I decided to try chat GPT to generate ice breaker/ getting to know you activities. The first round were simple getting to know you name game ideas.

I asked a follow up question to have students build something in a computer science classroom. The response was very similar to the AP CSP Unit 1 lesson 1 where students rapid prototype an innovation. My next follow up question to make it hands on returned the directions for the marshmallow tower challenge, which is a well known small group team building activity.
I then changed tracks and asked for fun ways to review for a test, thinking about AP review we are in the middle of, and the response was to create a kahoot quiz.
I asked for 10 multiple choice questions using the substring method in java, and got some good questions, and a few I wouldn’t use because of odd wording. But the answer key it included was correct! I feel like this could be a resource to use to help create unique multiple choice questions that students can’t find elsewhere on the internet.

So, I’m not super impressed with these yet, but am interested in other ways to use this as a tool. Brandi’s link to the 100 prompts for teachers to ash chat GPT above is definitely something I’m going to save, thanks for sharing that resource!

Lindsay

I also tried asking for MC questions for AP practice and I was significantly underwhelmed. I went as far as preloading the AP expectations and still found the questions returned were lacking. While I love GPT for other things, making practice questions did not seem to be a strong suit. Yet.