Worksheet - Compound Conditionals

On the last page, my students and I are wondering if there is an error in the answer key. Number 4 we believe the answer should be true because it is an or statement and day does equal Monday. Number 5 we believe it should be false because we are reading it as age is not equal to 16 and day is not equal to Monday, See image of answer key:

Hi @aprieksat,

Fantastic question! I have a secret love for problems like this - I always loved those puzzles in middle school/high school to figure out complicated pairings (usually it was something like students with different eye/hair color and favorite subjects and the clues would be “none of the students with brown hair like science” or “none of the students with green eyes also have black hair”)

Anyway, I think you are missing the “!” symbol which means “not”. I made a diagram here to help explain how I break it down. I am starting in the middle (or in the parentheses) and then evaluating outward. Does that help?

1 Like

Oh thank you!!! This diagram helped us so much! We really appreciate the time you took to explain it.

1 Like

Kaitie,
Can you show me the diagram? I’m a bit confused.

Hi Eleanor,

Do you see the example in this post - Worksheet - Compound Conditionals ? That is the diagram that is being referred to. It is the statements numbered 4 and 5. The T and F under the expressions are what the expressions evaluate to. Let me know if you have more questions.

I see a screenshot of the answer key but nothing with T or F underneath.

I have screenshot the example and added red circles on the T and F. Do you see them now?

Yes! Thank you very much!