Sample letter to Principal or Counselor about CSP

courtesy of nate, a teacher at the spokane CSP pd:

I just finished a week long training for CSP and it was awesome. Let me share with you what you need to know to get the right students into the right classes.

CSP is an innovative new class that has students learn Computer Science principals by actually enacting and constructing their own models of the internet and digital information. It’s hands on and physically interactive. This is a college level class for mature students that can handle challenge and rigor. Recommended for Juniors and Seniors. This class does not focus on learning a programing language, but after taking this class students will be ready to tackle a modern computer programing language.

Please be aware, historically, females and minorities have been underrepresented in Computer Science classes. CSP is not geared for a particular gender or ethnicity and should be equally accessible to everyone.

4 Likes

Thank you for this information. I will pass this along.

Thanks for posting this, Nate and Brook! The idea of the letter is super helpful and you’ve got some excelling points in there. I took the main elements and rewrote the letter to take on an extra safe tone since I was concerned the original might be interpreted by my counselors as saying “let me tell you how to do your job” or “make sure I get just the top students”. Of course, these are not things the original version is saying, but I wanted to err on the side of caution.

Unfortunately, my version turned out more like an essay…

You’re probably busy scheduling students these days and I’m not sure what information you have about the new AP Computer Science Principles course, so I wanted to chime in with some info that hopefully you find helpful for talking to students about the class and scheduling them!

One of the main goals of the AP Computer Science Principles (CSP) course is to broaden the appeal of computer science to as many students possible. The course is full of activities designed to be engaging and accessible to all students, and the content requires NO FORMAL PREREQUISITES OR SKILLS. For example, students don’t need to be acing calc to be a good fit for the class. Please be especially mindful to reach out to students who typically might not even think of themselves as someone who would take a computer science class, and historically this has been females and minorities.

Please also keep in mind this is still an AP course (this year is a pilot year). The students will be learning and applying skills (programming, reflective and persuasive writing, performing structured group activities) that require dedicated time and focus to be successful. For example, students who have not shown the discipline to pass Algebra 1 would likely do poorly in this course.

It would be fantastic if you could keep these two factors in mind for the students when you’re scheduling them or discussing their schedule with them (DIVERSITY + Good WORK HABITS).
Please let me know if you have questions, or feel free to direct students my way (room ___ ) if they have questions about the new Computer Science Principles course.

Thank you!

TL; DR: Regarding the new AP Computer Science Principles course, please encourage as DIVERSE a student population as possible, as long as they have good WORK HABITS.

Feedback and revisions encouraged! :grin:

1 Like

this is awesome, frank! i personally love your use of ALL CAPS to draw attention to key words (that’s my style too :smile:). keep us posted with how this is received!

Thank you Nate and Brook!! This is excellent! I plan on using this letter to help the counselors and administration truly understand. Frank’s letter is great too. Thank you Thank you

I appreciate your letter as it hits so many important points that many don’t realize. I will definitely use it.