Teaching Computer Science: Your Plans

My role is to help teachers get ready and teach CS courses in K-12 by using the code.org resources. My biggest challenge will be making the best practices and instructional methods more visual to them. To do that, I will need to:

1. create materials for workshops, seminars, and on-demand information
  2. set up or develop an efficient system to collect the needs, questions, and demands from the teachers about teaching their CS courses
  3. set up or develop an efficient system to share my best practice tips and resources with the teachers
  4. set up or develop an efficient system for my teachers to share their best practice tips and resources with other teachers

Itā€™s also important to help them customize their lessons according to their classroom settings and learner characteristics, which may require me to help them create additional instructional materials in addition to the resources that Code.org already provides.

My goals for teaching CS is to introduce CS to my students and make it fun. I hope to create life long learners by using code.org and all of its wonderful resources. I hope to bring guest speakers to our school next year.

I have not yet had a chance to teach CS but this year I will be teaching 3rd grade and am looking forward to teaching it and experimenting with it. I will start in Course 2 and let the students work at their own pace, making sure to do all of the ā€œUnplugged Activitiesā€ as a class. I am most excited about the entire concept. I did not have access to it last year and cannot wait to incorporate it into my class this year. As of now the challenges that I see are mistakes made by me in teaching CS and the students getting frustrated trying to solve some of the codes.
As of now the only questions I have are what tips and tricks work best for 3 grade and up?

This would be my first year using Code.org in my classroom. I am concerned with time and how to use this in my Algebra 1 class and still prepare may students for THE TEST! I also need to feel comfortable with it myself before I present it to the kids and I am definitely not there.

My goal for my classroom is to introduce computer coding in a simplistic way. I have used hour of code in the past, but I want to expand on their one hour and eventually teach them to write simplistic code.

I started a coding club at my elementary last year. My initial goal was to just introduce computer science to students who were interested in joining an after school club. We donā€™t have CS at the high school level right now and I think that these skills are essential to students now and will provide them with immense job opportunities in the future. Iā€™m really excited about the level of interest weā€™ve had in the club and how these resources really make it accessible to a low income school like mine. Iā€™m still staggered by the fact that this curriculum has been completely free! The club has attracted a wide variety of students and Iā€™m hoping that we can expand to include k-1 in the coming school year. Currently, our club meets after school once per week and itā€™s open to 2-5th graders. Some of the challenges weā€™ve faced include room capacity, device availability, and incorporating the unplugged lessons when the students are progressing at such varied pacing. For this next year, Iā€™ll probably do more paired/partner coding activities, dedicate every fourth meeting as an unplugged day, and have two course sections.

I plan to incorporate CS lessons as much as possible during the upcoming school year. Finding pockets of time will be the challenging part. I would love to incorporate these lessons in all of my classes- GT math, reading/writing/ELA, and science. I also plan to collaborate with my technology teacher to find out what he/she is doing in their class and to see if I can teach/extend the same/similar lessons.

I definitely will incorporate lessons during ā€œdownā€ times like right before the holiday breaks and end of the school year. We also have Eagle clubs (one club quarterly to celebrate students doing a good job with PBIS), so I am excited about possibly running a coding lesson/activity during those club times, with computers or doing an unplugged lesson.

I teach 4th grade, so I want to talk to our technology teacher first to see if starting with Course 2 or Course 3 would be the best starting point. With my GT math class, we will be looking at some 6th grade math standards, so I will explore the CS Algebra curriculum to see if there are any lessons/activities in that course that would be a good fit as well!

I am an art teacher and I have a class of 20 mixed-age students (10-14yo). I think my role is to be a mediator by introducing them to computer science and codes through this Portal. Iā€™m also learning a lot here with the students. The purpose of this class is to initially provide an awareness of the applicability of codes and algorithms in everyday life and then apply robotics and who knows how to develop applications. This is starting with the CC and the students are loving it. Thank you.

This will be my first time teaching coding to my 4th grade along with my other classes of math and science. I teach in a 4th-8th grade school. The students come with no code experience. I hope to complete course 2 and 3. I will use paired student groups. This will coordinate and support the math problem solving skills as well as begin to expose students the career possibilities of programming.

I plan to introduce the ECE students to this program through classroom exercises. This will allow the students who are in placement with school age children to support them through curriculum plans using CS.

I plan on integrating the Code curriculum to my Tech K-8 classes this year. Code.org will be my main source for all coding activities and projects and I am particularly excited about the kids coding their own games. My only issue is the limit of time for classes so I might have to skip some of the unplugged activities in favor of computer hands on.

• Goals: Introduce computer science knowledge and skills to all BAIS technology students. Code.org provides free, user-friendly resources that we will use to develop familiarity with coding.

• Iā€™m excited about seeing students apply problem-solving skills through computational thinking and pairred programming.

• Challenges include unpredictable internet access, language limitations for ELL students, and getting my Southeast Asian students comfortable with struggling through unfamiliar and new things.

• Iā€™d like to know how others post the meta-cognitive problem solving strategies in the Code.org Puzzle Solving Recipe.

Have you been to a code.org Professional Development workshop? If not, sign up here: https://code.org/professional-development-workshops

Itā€™s very easy to get started and super fun! Create a Section for your class and assign Course 1. Add the students to the class and select picture passwords. Print out the login cards for the students. Bookmark the URL on your class computers or add a shortcut to the desktop. They will love the solving the coding puzzles in Course 1! Have fun and learn along with them! Watch the ā€œPair Programmingā€ video as a class!

Excellent thanks for the ideas

I teach 2nd grade and our tech integrator introduced code.org to our grade level. I used the coding program during my work station hour while I was teaching reading groups. The students loved this program! Our G/T teacher rotated throughout grade level and introduced/taught the unplugged lessons/activities. It would be more beneficial to students if they could be taught as they move through the different sections rather than lumping it all together in a 3 week period. Also, Iā€™d like to be more involved with teaching the unplugged lessons so that I know whatā€™s going on. However, where is the time?

My goals are to use computer science and coding on a more regular and integrated basis within my curriculum. I mainly did code.org last year as an when you finish early activity and we did the hour of code.
The CS and code.org resources, now that I know where to locate them, are going to be awesome and what a help!
I am most excited to get started and see how my students are going to blossom using these resources. I also am excited to share with my colleagues.
The biggest challenge I see is time!
I donā€™t currently have a qistuon but I probably will in the future or when school starts back.

This will be my first year of implementing a program. I teach computers to grades 3-10 and my primary goal is to expose students to coding, vocabulary and problem solving using a combination of unplugged and computer activities. Iā€™m excited to see students work through the activities and get them hooked on coding. Some of the challenges I forsee in meeting goals is being able to guide students in solving the problems. I had trouble with a few of the puzzles that dealt with degree changes and I also envision some problems with the artist drawings. Iā€™m hopeful that answers will be available if we get stuck.

Iā€™m completing the course and I wasnā€™t able to get one of the tasks to turn green.

My goal this upcoming semester is to teach Course 2 to my 3rd grade ESL students. We have a lab at our school with 40 computers that is barely used. My Language Arts class is the most difficult since I have so many different levels of English learners, so I will use this weekly period to introduce coding. I am excited about the students communicating more in English as they learn new vocabulary and skills. The problem I foresee is that I only have one 40 minute period per week and Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll be able to cover everything in that time. Have other teachers cut out any of the stages or found other ways of condensing the material if necessary?

My plan is to start my class on course one, once they are suckered in :stuck_out_tongue: I am going to include an unplugged activity for 30mins and then get them onto the computer again to practice. Students can go at the course at their own pace as I run a coderdojo in town where some are completing the course there as well.

My next step will be to code a dash/dot to complete a course as fast as possible and then use the tech we have to design something that will help the community. Thereby progressing and utilising their experience. Problems will be limited tech, but they can share :slight_smile:

Hi All,

I finished the teaching CSF, and my plan is to start with my two children, a son and a daughter. They are 10 and 6.

I live in The Hague, Netherlands, I plan to introduce code.org to few schools here.

Is there anyone who lives in the Hague or any where in the Netherlands, so we can combine forces?

Salam