Active Recruiting Strategies

Here are some active recruiting strategies that were crowdsourced by the group in Spokane PD:

• Advertise on the district newsletter that goes to parents and students
  • Take your current students to middle and elementary schools to demonstrate what happens in your class
  • Open House - demos of any kind!
  • FOOD!
  • Have students talk to potential students during lunch
  • Flyers on campus
  • Hour of Code (all year long)

Remember, students are the best recruiters!

“Active” being the key word. I made the HUGE mistake of adding the CSP course to school registration materials with zero, zip zilch marketing thinking the courses foundation science credit option and listing in the science course portion of registration material would ensure enough students for course to carry. This strategy at a large school of 2700 students resulted in exactly 5 sign-ups. Luckily a day of active elevator pitches to my current robotics students got me the 40 students needed for administration to feel confident with scheduling the course.

I think that students are intimidated by the title “computer science”. I use my students to help recruit other students. This seems to work great.

Hi! Its been 5 years since this post, but, I struggle with getting students to help recruit other students. As in, I don;t really know how to word it to them or what to tell them to do? help?

I do this throughout the year by having students showcase their projects in other classes and to their friends. I also use our CS related clubs to show off and talk about classes we offer when they have club events. In fact, our CS Honor Society holds an open house at the beginning of the year and does a presentation for students and parents.

I use this document after students create an app. I then take each of these from students and print them off (I do color from the library). I then post them in my hallways’ bulletin board. The kids like seeing them out and a few times I see them show their friends. Parents also stop and look at them during back to school night and conferences. Good exposure for your kids and the course.

1 Like

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

@sam_stafford
I just wanted to thank you for this great idea!!! I did a take off of this idea and used in on my recruiting tri-fold board for AP NIght. It was a big hit! Thanks for sharing.

Bridget

1 Like