Clever Roster Not Updating and Keeping them In the Same Course as Last Year

Hello,
I teach coding each year for a trimester in an elementary school and we use Clever to sync and roster students. This year, students used Clever to login and it put them in the same course and saved progress from last year. I would like them to finish that course, but need the roster to update to reflect the new classroom placement for this year. Is that possible or is the only option to have them join the new class via a code and either restart the course they are in or simple place them in the current grade level. My issue is they do not get enough time to finish a course, and thus miss the more advanced work found towards the later half of any given course.

Hi @ppaxton,

I would try assigning the new course, which I believe will then display the new course as an option on their landing page. Their old courses should remain on their landing page, allowing them to go back and complete them if they wish.

Not sure I completely understand the situation. Did that answer your question?

Frank

Not quite, but I appreciate the attempt! My rosters are not syncing. Hence, my students from last year are showing up in the classroom placement from last year. This means that if I “assign” a class, it would not match up to this year’s rosters. For example, Jane had Mrs. X in third grade last year so I put her in the Mrs. X section. This year in 4th Jane has Mrs. Z. Problem is Jane is still showing up in Mrs. X’s section with the progress saved in Course D that she completed in third grade. Last year I ended up finding a code that I had to walk the students through screen by screen to find the spot to enter it- when they entered in the class code then and only then did the roster sync. Once they were in the correct section, I could then assign the course that I wanted for them. I am hoping to get them both in the correct section, but have them complete the class started last year. I am thinking that if I have them type in a class code, I am required to 'assign" the course and then that wipes out the progress in the older course. Not sure if that is any clearer or not-

Ok, just got it figured out. The issue was that when I logged in, I had to archive my old sections. Then I needed to click sync with Clever- and add in each section one by one. During this part is where I had to assign the course. Once done, it did finally sync correctly with Clever. From that point, the student launch page does automatically open up to the updated course, but I will have to show students how to navigate back to their dashboard and locate the unfinished work from last year. Problem solved. If there happens to be a way I can get it to automatically open their old course instead of having them navigate back that would be good. Going to go fiddle with settings to see if that is an option somewhere. Thanks for your help.

Hi @ppaxton,

Awesome, glad you got it working!

And extra big thanks for posting how you got it to work (as opposed to just posting “Never mind, I got it working.” and nothing more). I’m sure that will be helpful to any other teacher using Clever.

Frank