Conditionals with Cards (Course 2, Lesson 12) Unplugged

How do you teach the Conditionals with Cards activity from Course 2? Share your best practices here.

https://code.org/curriculum/course2/12/Teacher

Can someone provide me with some clarification on the difference between If and Else If…are they simply two different options that are offered when the condition is false … or…is Else If viewed as a sub condition? I am confused!!

I use the a deck of cards to teach my Conditionals. My example is:
IF the card is red, you get a point, ELSE I get a point (Card has to be black)
IF the card is red and a face card, you get a point, ELSE I get a point (Card has to be black or a red # 1-10 card)
(Remove face cards) IF the card is even, you get the number of points on card (red or black), ELSE I get the points on the card.

Hope this helps.

Cherry,

I am looking at the Conditionals with Cards assessment activity and I am confused by the answer key.

If (Card is lower than 5)
If (Card is Black)
Award YOUR team the same number of points on the card.
Else
Award OTHER team 1 point.
Else
If (Card is Hearts)
Award YOUR team 1 point

Team 1 draws a 3 of clubs (black) for 3 points

Team 2 draws a 7 of hearts (red) for 1 points

Team 1 draws a 4 of hearts (red) ON THE ANSWER KEY it says 3 points. Should not team 1 have 4 points (3 points from the first draw and 1 point for the red heart)?

Team 2 draws a 4 of clubs for 6 points ON THE ANSWER KEY but should not team 2 now have 5 points?

Am I reading the statements incorrectly?

Here’s a video that might also help…

Thank you! I watched it and it made more sense. I missed the general idea of the If Else statement hierarchy determining which if else statement would be followed.