Delete a student

I don’t see a way to remove a student from a class? How can I select a kid and delete them? I’ve had a couple kids move and don’t want to see them in my class list.

1 Like

If you go to the teacher dashboard and then to your section, you will see a “Manage Students” tab (see image). When you click on Manage Students tab, you will see your list of students. In the rightmost column (Actions) you will see a drop down menu for each student. Click on the arrow of the drop down menu of the student you want to remove from the section. You will see the option to remove student.

I don’t see that option to “remove student”

I will ask a Code.org staff to look into what is going on with your account.

I see that option for some of my classes but not for all of them. I can’t figure out why some are different from others?

@sdiaz if you write in to support@code.org we’ll be able to get our product team’s eyes on this and also look more closely at your account. Sorry to send you somewhere else to get help but if you write in there that will be the best way to get this fixed.

Cheers!
GT

I have been using Code.org for 5 years and the biggest change I wish they would make is to be able to either delete or archive an entire class all at once. Right now they only way I can do this is to remove each student in the class first and then delete the class. My 36 classes change each year!

@klong1 I think this is a great idea! I make a new class each year so then I don’t really worry about previous students work - it is all acessible in that old class.

That being said, I can see why teachers would find that useful! I will share this with the code.org staff! I know they have a lot on their “engineering wishlist”, but hopefully we can get this on the list (or pushed up higher on the list).

Thanks!
KT

@klong1 you can hide old sections if you want from https://studio.code.org/home. Just click the dropdown menu and select “Hide Section”. Let me know if you think that’s what you want.

Cheers,
GT

I had a student I don’t teach appear on my code.org class. But they are not in my google classroom which I Synced it from. It won’t give me the option to remove said student.

Did you sync your class from Google Classroom? I had the same issue - the “delete student” was not an option, so I re-synced from Google Classroom and the student was automatically deleted.

2 Likes

This was exactly the problem i was having! Thanks. :slight_smile:

I also sync from Google Classroom and I can’t even get the students to disappear after I have deleted the Google Classroom. Maybe I need to keep the Google Classroom but delete each student and then resync in code.org and then delete the Google Classroom? Anyone do this?

This may have already been asked and answered. Sorry if it has, but I didn’t see the answer I needed. I have students K-3rd (I’m an computer enrichment teacher). Our students sign in using their Google accounts. When the 3rd graders go to 4th grade, they are still using Code.org at the middle school. So if I remove them from my sections, does that delete their accounts from Code.org or just take them out of my sections?

I can not do this either. The classroom was synced with Google classroom and I do not have an option to delete a student.

When you go to Manage students, do you not see the Remove Student option? If not, you may need to reach out to support@code.org

No. All I see is Edit:

And the only thing you can do in Edit is change the name.

Hello @deanne.adamson ! We responded to you via support@code.org, but we’ll follow up here for anyone else’s reference who may be reading the thread.

Unfortunately, sections set up using 3rd party integrations through Google Classroom or Clever, do not offer many of the administrative level options for making changes to students’ accounts, due to limitations set by those platforms.

To be able to remove students from these section types, you’ll need to remove the students in question first from the Google Classroom side, then return to the Code.org side and click “sync students from Google Classroom”. This will reflect any updates (new students or students removed) you’d made on the Google Classroom side. These instructions are printed at the bottom of the “Manage students” tab shown in your screenshot as well, for future reference! We’re hopeful we can add universal 6-character codes for all section types in future updates, to allow easier adding/removing of students at will.

We appreciate your feedback!

1 Like