Do you see computer science as a foundational skill for K-5 students?

Do you see computer science as a foundational skill for your students? Why or why not?
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://studio.code.org/s/K5PD/stage/11/puzzle/3

I feel that the use of computer science can truly help my students however, I feel that it might not be considered a foundational skill (such as reading and writing). I do believe that incorporating computer science into the lessons that teach foundation skills could be helpful. We need to change with the times and stay up-to-date with the technology changes. The use of computer science in the classroom will help with this change.

Yes, I do believe that computer science is an important subject that my students need to learn. In today’s world technology is fast advancing and students are able to remain up to date with the programs and devices they use most often such as iphones, tablets, and Power Point. However, if they are never exposed to the fundamentals of computer programming then we cannot expect them to be able to rapidly excel in those areas. By giving our elementary students the chance to develop even the smallest understanding of computer science we are helping them to build confidence in the area for their future education.

Yes, I do feel like computer science is an important part of instruction for students. With all of the advancements in technology, I feel that it is important for our students to understand how to operate and navigate the different resources available to them. I wish we had more time in the classroom to implement Code.org for the students to gain more exposure.

Yes, I do believe that computer science will help my students. We are definitely in a technology age as everyone has said. Students are more engaged when using technology. It is important for students to understand how to use these resources since they will be using them in the future. Like Danielle said, I wish we had more time in our instructional schedule to incorporate these valuable resources.

testing testing testing

testing testing testing

testing testing testing

testing testing testing

testing testing testing

testing testing testing

I am not quite sure if I see it as a foundational skill yet. I feel that the more and more we become a technological society this will become a foundational skill. I think that this will eventually be a very important part of today’s society. I also still feel that it is very important to learn writing (cursive). I feel that is being taken away and it should not be.

Yes and no…I think we need to find a good balance where computer science is used to help build future knowledge and problem solving skills but does not replace the important hand written skills as well.

It is because today in our society we depend so much on technology that we need to start teaching our students about the skills they are going to need for the future. They will use them no matter what career they decide to pursue and they will be at an advantage.

Çağın ihtiyaçları doğrultusunda bireyleri egitim ihtiyaclarinikarşılamak gerektiğinden uygun buluyorum.

I am not sure computer science is what I would call a basic foundational skill. However, I do believe that it can be the basis upon which other skills can be taught.

I can see computer science being a foundational skill in the classroom with the changing of the education world the students will only benefit and greater their learning through these skills that they will be learning.

Yes, I see

[quote=“codeorg, post:1, topic:12, full:true”] computer science as a foundational skill for your g

I definitely see computer science as a foundational skill for your students. Just about any task a students does in life can be converted into code. By learning how to code at an early age, students can use the logic behind the code to organize tasks which are part of their daily lives.

I think coding can be considered a foundational skill. Making students use logic and simple math are things that students of any age can benefit from, especially the little ones.

1 Like