Do you see computer science as a foundational skill for K-5 students?

Yes, I feel that computer science in a foundational skill for K-5 students. Just as you need to learn how to pick up and book and know which way the text is layed out on the page, or how you hold a pencil to write, our students need to learn how to open a web browser, where to go to navigate from one web page to the next, and how to use a keyboard to type their thoughts.

1 Like

Yes, I see it as a foundational skill for K-5, we have to adapt as educators to help our students grow and ultimately contribute to society. :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, it teaches them about what is going on within all their electronic devices and how everything works. Coding will come easier to those students who think logically, yet the creative students can help be the driver for other students.

I believe computer science will be a foundational skill for my students because it will allow them to become familiar with being detail oriented. Students will enhance their vocabulary, critical thinking skills, and their social skills. This will create a foundation that will allow them to be more successful in all of their endeavors.

1 Like

Computer science will be a fantastic foundational skill for students to master because it can be used in everyday skills.

1 Like

I definitely see computer science as a necessary foundational skill for my 2nd grade students. These are the types of skills that they need to be successful in school and for future careers.

1 Like

Yes–to get our students ready for college and career, this will give them a beneficial skill to make them competent and competitive.

In this age of technology and the advancements that have been made, I believe that computer science will be an important addition as a foundational skill for K-5 students. Having these skills will help our students achieve success.

I teach media skills so part of my job is to give my students the skills they need to do any job they want when they get into the real world. Elementary school should give the kids the basics so they can start working towards their ultimate goals when they leave us. These skills should include reading, writing, math, basic science and social studies and now, even coding.

Yes… students need to learn

not really…i think it would be useful for struggling coders but i dont think its something they HAVE to learn

I feel that computer sciences should be taught in every school because it teaches you important information related to computers.

Computer science skills allow the students a fun and engaging way to work on problem solving skills.

Thanks for trying Discourse!

@amy.cox @baker @brendan, here are some tips for launching a successful discussion community:

What is the “elevator pitch” for your community?

The first thing people will ask: what is this place? How would you describe your community to someone you just met in a 60 second elevator ride? Make sure that’s visible on your home page, as a banner or pinned topic.

Build some interesting discussions to launch with

• What comes up often in your internal emails? Are there common themes that tend to come up again and again with your fans, customers, users, patrons, subscribers? Try moving those discussions out of private email silos into your public (or private) discussion area.

• If you find a cool link you want to discuss, quickly start a new topic by pasting a link into the topic title. Try it!

• Have some open-ended getting to know you topics for people to share their opinions, experiences, stories, or pictures. An “introduce yourself” topic is always fun, and you should go first!

• What topics do you want your community to create? Imagine what a model user you would love to see on your site would do – and then try doing that yourself. Create multiple accounts if you need to; post example topics and reply to them so visitors can browse the existing conversations to discover what your community is about.

Get the right people in the room

• Send personal invitations to your staff, power users, or friends, to log in early and reply to your initial topics to generate activity. Send one-click email invites via your invite page. You can also send bulk invites to many email addresses at once.

• Generously like any and every post you enjoy! What type of content gets liked is a major part of your community’s culture. Set an example by frequently liking posts in the early days of your forum. Seeing liked posts also encourages people to reciprocate in kind, and come back for more.

• Actively seek the help of power users and early adopters in your community. There’s a built in feedback category for discussing organization and governance. Let your most avid users have a say in what your community does, how the site works, and what your community becomes.

How do people find your community?

• Where can you place links to your community so that people will naturally discover it? In the header or footer of your website? Where else?

• Promote your community. Add a note to your mailing lists or email newsletters, put up a notice on your website, or make a blog entry about your new community.

• What rewards, perks, contests, or incentives can you give people for signing up, for posting, for replying? Check your user directory to see engagement statistics, and shower your best users with attention to encourage them.

For additional advice, see our blog post on how to build engaging Discourse communities.

Good luck! Building a community takes patience and persistence. :sweat_smile: If we can help, email support@discourse.org any time.

Jeff Atwood
https://discourse.org

CSFundamentals is the foundation for students and teachers. IMO, this is where the paradigm shift happens. If teachers teach this thread to all students a new skill set and use Lead Learner and project based STEM activities to tie in ALL other content, then we build something great. Students move to next levels and PRACTICE those same skills in CSDisco and their teachers do the same to tie in ALL subjects around that thread. Then when they go the HS CSP becomes a true capstone of skill and perseverance of all the skills and knowledge they have built. They will have succeed in their other courses more effectively as well do to the paradigm shift in teaching that everyone has adopted.

Hello I personally feel it is a core competency as it is the future of our world. It also provides students with unique ways to problem solve in partners and in groups. The more they learn to use this problem solving the more they are able to apply it in a multi-disciplinary approach. Personally I believing coding should be a requirement for all students.

@amy.cox @baker @brendan I hope you’ve enjoyed Discourse during your free trial! :sparkles:

To subscribe and keep your site, follow this link (it has additional details):

Start Our Subscription

If you need more time to evaluate Discourse, or you have any questions, don’t hesitate to email us at support@discourse.org. We’re here to help!

Computer science should be a foundational skill but some of my students are struggling with Math, so they will find it difficult to comprehend.