Hello CS Principles Community,
The Explore Performance Task 2019 Scoring Guidelines (rubric) does not contain major changes, but does clarify language on some of the scoring criteria. We have updated our materials to match these changes.
We have updated our Survival Guide including the improved Explore PT Guidelines found at the end of the guide. We removed the text boxes from this section and created a separate Explore PT - Written Response Template that students can use to complete the written response section of the task.
The College Board released 10 new student sample tasks. We have summarized four of the samples into our ever-popular side-by-side documents which compare the student answer with the College Board response, going through the rubric row by row.
- Explore PT Annotated Sample A (8/8)
- Explore PT Annotated Sample E (6/8)
- Explore PT Annotated Sample H (4/8)
- Explore PT Annotated Sample J (1/8)
We created three new documents this year to help teachers dig into the samples using a different lens. In each of these documents, we focused on one of the Explore PT prompts, and listed all ten of the sample responses for that prompt along with the College Board feedback. It is our hope that these documents help teachers gain a holistic view of what the College Board is looking for in regards to the specific prompts and be prepared to answer student questions. These documents can be found in the "Preparation" and “Teaching Tips” sections of Lesson 1 in the Explore - AP Performance Task unit.
How might you use these documents?
- Scan through the documents before teaching this unit to familiarize yourself with the College Board expectations and prepare to answer student questions
- Review the documents again after the performance task has been officially turned in to the College Board for guidance on optionally scoring the tasks for your own gradebook.
- Explore PT - Response 2a - All Samples
- Explore PT - Response 2c - All Samples
- Explore PT - Response 2d - All Samples
All teacher documents can be found in the Lesson Plans for the Explore - AP Performance Task Prep unit. Student documents can be accessed by students on Code Studio. We hope these documents are useful for both teachers and students. Please don’t hesitate to let us know how we can make them even better! Stay tuned for similar updates to the Create PT Prep unit.