Grading Policies / Creating Student Grades

Hi everyone,
I’m so excited to begin teaching CSP! One of the tasks I still need to complete is the creation of a course overview document that describes course expectations, classroom norms, etc. I could use some help, especially from those that piloted CSP last year. How did you grade your students? I know that the Teacher Home Page / Dashboard can provide details about how students are doing, including a way to track pair programming. There are likely also other components of the grade (readings from Blown to Bits, other articles, perhaps some Ted Talk videos, etc.). How have you turned all of this into a grade for each student? I’m thinking about a point system, but I want it to be easy to do. Please share, as I’m sure I’m not the only one puzzling through this process!
Thanks,
Will

I think grading is very context dependent. My school used “Product” and “Process” points. I tended to grade homework and some classwork as process at 10pts per assignment. I tended to give the projects 100pt Product Grades.

So basically, yes a point based system worked.

This year I hope to pilot mastery/competency based grading. We will see how it goes.

Caroline

thanks! I’m having a discussion with Administration about mastery/competency based grading. I could have an A, B, or Incomplete as possible grades. We have this for some non-AP courses at our school, and I think it works well for this course as well. Based on my roster, I expect lots of Mastery/A grades!
Will

I like the A/B/I idea.

Will you be using a tool to track mastery?
Are you thinking of tracking any socio-emotional skills or behaviors?

Hi,
Thank you for sharing your ideas. I’m also new to CSP and would like to pick your brains.
I think the point system is a great idea and will definitely use it.

What would be a fair way to weigh assessments vs. projects and process points? Any suggestions?

sferrier

Caroline, I think since this is my first time through, I’m going to back away from mastery by each CSP standard. I might, however, keep a high-level A/B/I approach. If they are missing too many assignments, then get an Incomplete until they have caught up. I think that this approach will encourage them to do each assignment and (hopefully!) be better prepared for the PT’s and the exam. I’ve until Wednesday to figure it out…

sferrier,
Good question about point distribution! Let’s have a discussion. What if an hour of work was worth about 10 points? In my block schedule, they will have 90 minutes of class and perhaps 30 minutes of HW every class, so there are about 20 points per class.

So, I’m thinking that I’ll come up with 10 points for in-class activities and another 10 for the HW. Or some days, perhaps all 20 points for in-class. Or 15 and 5. Or a multi-day activity could be worth 30-40 points total. Lots of flexibility. Some activities have a rubric, so those would provide guidelines for points as well.

The large summative assignments such as the practice Performance Tasks or the chapter assessments might be worth 100 points. I haven’t thought through a retake policy yet.

I would rather spend my time planning than grading, so it isn’t likely to be that scientific. It wouldn’t take long to enter a set of grades each day.

Anyone have any thoughts to share on this topic? I would love to hear them!

Will
One thing that I used to help grade the lessons completed with a partner or group was participation points. If a student was absent, they could partner with another student to complete the lesson and receive the participation points. It is possible for a student to miss school and still complete the activity. I really wanted to honor and encourage collaboration. I really like your idea of awarding points based on “an hour of work”. This would make it so the students with no Computer Science background would have the opportunity to earn the “A”. Level the playing field!
Karen

Does anyone have some other ideas for grading that would be equitable for students with various backgrounds in Computer Science?

@will_wright also check out this blog by a teacher who is using google classroom.

I like the strategy!