Is anyone considering using close reading strategies with text annotation?

I have started students reading blown to bits using these methods. However, I am developing format and prompts to assess comprehension–any ideas?

This is something that I’m doing this year and new to doing. I am developing resources as I go if anyone would like to share. Last year was my first year with CSP and we did not read Blown 2 Bits. This year we are reading it. The first chapter was read in very small snippets during the week. I am in a computer lab and introduced students to the annotation tool in Adobe Reader. They highlighted text and learned to write comments. I have a Silent 15 at the start of the period so students can review the reading. There is a fishbowl and the first person finished with reading fishes out a topic that is presented to the class. The topics might be obscure - bits are to blank
as blank is to blank OR What is a koan? Something relatively simple. Blown 2 Bits reading also can be done toward the end of the period when we finish lessons a bit earlier than anticipated…Students came up with skits for each of the koans and it really helped our learning when they presented them.Someone built a doubling lego structure to illustrate processing power. We are onto Chapter 2 now and will be doing a pen pals activity. We will annotate text and trade our annotation with another class to comment back to us. Ultimately I will have college interns look over their discussions and comment back to them. This is something the kids are really looking forward to this week.

2 Likes

Any chance you care to share your prompts? Thank you!