Is anyone using CSP 20-21 in a distance learning and flipped classroom approach?

I’m setting up a course using CSP 20-21 in a pure virtual and distance learning environment. Because I want my weekly virtual classroom session to be all about mentoring and consulting, I’m using a flipped-classroom approach. I’m also applying gamification to the course.

Would anyone like to have a discussion about trying this model? I’m pretty sure I’m doing the right things, but it’s always nice to have other perspectives. My course goes live on August 10, 2020. I’m happy to host a zoom session. Feel free to reach out to me at jwhowe@ncsu.edu. THANKS!

3 Likes

I would definitely be interested in doing a Zoom. This will be my first year teaching CSP and I am guessing we may be doing distance learning sporadically throughout the year so I would like your insight.

I sent my email to the address listed. Things are quite fluid on our end, so hopefully there will be more answers for dates in time to assist you. torialdridge@utexas.edu

I am interested in knowing how the flipped classroom approach worked out? How do your students like it?

Hi Reshida,

So far, all my students really like it. Here at NC State, we have taken out all the breaks in the semester and are running a straight15 weeks. The semester ends just before Thanksgiving. I have attached the outline for the course. Keep in mind that I am teaching a mixture of teacher licensure and graphic communications majors. Currently, they are all juniors or seniors. They are coming into the class with a high FUD factor (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt). The course is really a mashup of Google CS First and Code.org CSP. The course is also a 3 credit hour graded course. I break down their preconceptions and use Google CS First and Scratch for the first four weeks. It gets all the fundamental concepts into them. Then I take them into CSP. I cherry-pick the units and use pair programming for almost all the activities. We don’t do any of the AP materials. Flipping the classroom and using pair programming (even in the Scratch activities) has been very positive. Everyone knows that they will be presenting and explaining their code during the Friday virtual class. I’ve seen a significant increase in collaboration. I challenge them to impress me. And we’re only in week 3.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

GC 496 Course Map.pdf (93.8 KB)

3 Likes

Hello!
This is my first post on the forum and my first year teaching CSP.
I’m making some materials for my completely online class.
Cincinnati Public Schools is fully remote for at least the first 5 weeks.
I’m trying to squish the first few lessons together because I don’t know how to get my students to engage. They don’t turn their webcams on (fine by me) and usually only communicate through the chat (also fine). So, I’m trying to be creative. Just sharing resource material for others!

3 Likes

Thank you, this is great. I can’t wait to use it with my students.