Just Starting Out

Greetings!

I am just jumping into coding with my primary aged students. I have one major question:

1. Which course should I start with (I have separate groups of first and second graders)?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated…Thanks in advance!

Jennifer

Jennifer,
I would start the 1st graders on course B and the 2nd graders on course C.
If they need to all be on the same course, then put them all on Course B.
Eileen

Thank you so much for responding! It may not be necessary for them all to be on the same lesson. I will take your suggestion under advisement. I am super new to this, so any information (best practices) is greatly appreciated.

This is the best page for grades K-5 teachers to start with:
https://code.org/educate/curriculum/elementary-school

1. Click the “Find a Workshop” button and attend a one day workshop in your area! Great PD! You’ll learn everything you need to know!
  2. Click on the “Curriculum Guide for Courses A-F” and read the first 28 pages when you have time.
  3. Scroll down to Courses A-F and click the yellow “Lesson Plans” button under Course B.

I always show the students the “Pair Programming” video (Course B - Lesson 4) and we discuss it. They learn to work together with 2 students on one computer. When they start working the online coding puzzles in Lesson 4, they work together as a team. It’s awesome! Have fun!