Lists as abstraction - rectangle

Hello-
If a student is using a list as an example of an abstraction, what should she put a rectangle around? Just the declaration of the list or should she also include where the list is being processed/used in the code as well?
Thanks!

@alicefisher100 The rectangle should include the actual abstraction code not a reference to it. I have included the documentation from the CED page 118:
2d. Capture and paste a program code segment that contains an abstraction you developed individually on your own (marked with a rectangle in section 3below). This abstraction must integrate mathematical and logical concepts. Explain how your abstraction helped manage the complexity of your program.

So the outline only goes around the “parent” algorithm, not the “child”?

@victoria_mariano It should go around all 3 (the parent and the 2 child definitions). Check out the survival guide for good examples.

I have a student who is having difficulty getting the oval and the rectangle around his algorithms and abstraction the way he would like it to look. Because the college board template gives the option to paste his code as text rather than an image, he plans to paste in the appropriate text and color code the algorithms and the abstraction. Also, he is using comments to identify the algorithms and abstractions he is discussing in the written responses. Will he loose the point for his responses if those parts of his code are identified by color rather than with an oval or rectangle?

My suggestion would be to stick with the requirements and guidelines. The readers are reading several hundred PTs a day. It just makes it easier on the reader if students are consistent and follow the guidelines so they don’t miss anything. I think the code must be ovaled and rectangled in the pdf to make the parts stand out. In the written responses, it can be typed in.