Lists in create project

" List: Capture and paste two program code segments you developed during
the administration of this task that contains a list (or other collection type)
being used to manage complexity in your program.
i. The first program code segment must show how data have been
stored in the list"

Can students submit an empty list if they are appending it based on user input in their program?

Hi @rsatija,

Great question! I would say that if they can write to how the list ultimately captures and stores data, and then manages complexity, they would be okay. Howevever, this is going to depend upon their written response and it will be trickier to write to than if they used a list with pre-filled data.

I’m going to leave the floor open for others to weigh in on how they interpret this question. Perhaps someone on this forum has been an AP reader in the past and would care to tell us how they’d have scored it?

Thanks!

–Michael K.

1 Like

Yes, this type of list is acceptable. However, as mentioned, the student will likely need to be able to coherently and clearly explain how that list is filled when they write about their code on the final exam.

2 Likes

They can. The rubric helps us here by telling us what they will NOT accept:

DO NOT award a point if any one or more of the following is true:
• The list is a one-element list.
• The use of the list is irrelevant or not used in the program.
The use of either the selection or the iteration is trivial (i.e., does not affect the outcome of the program)

As long as you are showing where the list is created and where it is being processed, you should be good. That is why you provide the full code, so the reader can see what is happening in your students code if there is some confusion.

Also, remember they will be writing differently about the list this year. No more why is it important, the questions will now probably deal with how many time it loops over the list and how how to break your list.

EDIT:
Links to the rubric:
Part 1
Part 2

2 Likes

Thank you so much.
Rubric is helpful.

2 Likes