Manage Assets & Libraries

Has anyone used the manage assets or library functions in code studio?
How do these work?
Any best practices or examples?

You can add libraries by using manage library and you can add files by using manage assets.
You can create libraries by doing this:

1. Create a project (AppLab/GameLab)
  2. Write the library. Add functions with comments on top of them.
  3. To share the library and get its code, press the share button, then press Show Advanced Options, then press Share as Library. You will need to do some steps like adding a name for the library, and then press Publish at the bottom.
  4. Copy the library id and go to the project you want to use it in.
  5. Press the settings icon, then press manage libraries, and then paste the library id in the input bar at the bottom of the popup.
  6. Press add.
  7. Now, you can use your library!

You can learn more about libraries here: How to use Libraries in App Lab – Code.org
Here it says “How to use Libraries in App Lab”, although libraries work in Game Lab too.

Here’s how you can use manage assets:
Let’s you want to use an image you have on your computer.

1. Press the settings icon, press Manage Assets and then press Upload File.
  2. Choose the file you want to import. Note: Not all file formats are supported on code.org, You can’t use some, like .TTF or .PPTX files (obviously) however you can use mp4 files and image files, like PNG or JPEG.
  3. You can use that file in your code in a lot of ways, for example by using playSound(), but if you want to use them for an image you need to select them while adding the image element in AppLab.

If you have any more questions, please ask me! And sorry, if I did any mistakes correct me :slight_smile:

Libraries can be difficult to figure out and are a very tedious process to update and continue using. I wouldn’t suggest using them unless:

• You want to share it with colleagues or other users
  • It’s too long and messy to neatly fit in a project
  • You plan on using it with multiple projects
    Of course, there’s nothing stopping you if you really want to use one.