Modifying Unit 1

Let me see if I can share some more specific ideas based on the resources I shared above and I’m hopeful others will share ideas as well! You may be familiar with these tools already but I’ll share what I use to make reading more accessible for all my students.

I think the differentiation guides have good ideas. For example, I think screen recording instructions would be your best friend. Loom is currently free for educators (again-you may know this). I also use Screencastify. This is a regular differentiation technique for me. The Unit 1 modification guide also suggests having students “” take pictures or record videos of their progress to submit." I use FlipGrid for this regularly. Flipgrid is a tool used in all grades so should be accessible for your students. As far as modifying the materials themselves, some of the resources shared in the forum may work or perhaps others can share. I also really like NearPod (and PearDeck would be similar) for tools that allow students to draw responses and for teachers to record instructions. I did see a forum post for a Nearpod for Unit 1 but the Nearpod lesson was deleted (at least for me). Perhaps you had thought of these and/or perhaps other teachers have resources they can share here.

Good luck!
Michelle