Need assistance with PT Create Task

Hi,
My class this year is really struggling. They can barely code anything themselves. Any chance someone can buddy with me to provide assistance? Not sure how to proceed

I AGREE! Ever since the course was changed a few years ago students seem to be REALLY struggling to be able to code anything on their own, even after showing examples and EXPLAINING the code in the investigate lie by line…

I would happy to try and help! Are you looking for Create Task specific help to understand what they should be doing or practice coding lessons?

I wouldn’t start the create task unless you are sure they can produce a simple code that has a list. A function, with a parameter, a for looping going through that list and an if/else statement.

Hi,
this is for the final AP project.
I spent at least 25 class hours going over practice code, yet they’re still struggling.
I am obviously not allowed to help them code, and feel stuck

I went through a few simple examples of the requirements, yet they’re still struggling.

Well, here is what I would do. I would pause on the create task for a minute, it is not due until the end of April. Maybe re-vist the hack-a-thon project. Use what AP allows you to do. They can collaborate on code, put them together. You can use these groups later. I would focus on the basics of what the create task having them design a similar stripped down app. That is a list. It needs just 1 function that goes through the above list using a for loop and that function needs an if statement (and else, but work on that later). You can do this in 15 lines. I made a basic skeleton app of something similar I have used for re-teaching in the past. Focus on the basics.

Do not share this directly with your students, but you could live code something similar during remediation with your students to teach the basics of Sequencing, Selection, and Iteration. Those are the core app requirements. Keep it simple is the motto for the create task. Once the kids understand how a basic program like above works, then I would re-introduce the create task. Again, keep it simple. Build off what you can help them on and hopefully together they can figure some things out. IRL coding is not done in.a bubble.

I made a video covering the basics of the create task. Another teacher recently posted thier video a couple of days ago I would check out as well.

Hopefully, that makes a little sense. I hope some other posters chime in as well.

2 Likes