Pilot - U3L02 - Plotting Shapes

Please leave any feedback, thoughts, or resources for the lesson here. As a reminder, good feedback has the following elements:

• description of your school and classroom context
  • details on what went well when teaching this lesson
  • details on what didn’t go well when teaching this lesson
  • a description of the changes you would recommend to improve the lesson (including formative assessment opportunities you added to the lesson)
  • details on the types of deviations you made from the lesson

For more details on what good feedback looks like, check out the feedback guide!

Notes:
11 students, 9-12th Grades with little experience in CS.

U2L03 - Plotting Shapes

The plotting shapes activity was really successful as students in my class, as I’ve mentioned before, are very competitive. I had two students come up to the board and project the image for classmates to describe. We went around the room and all said something - without anyone mentioning any sort of grid or size unit which, for a HS class of 9-12, I found surprising.

After that students worked in partners (one with me because of our 11 students) and I had covered both images on the print out with post its so they had no clue. By the end of the activity everyone saw how helpful the grid was to plot, but some students still struggled to use the “x” and “y” verbiage. And very few, again I was surprised, mentioned the large black dot as the origin point of the shape - which is a great tool and hopefully it’ll click later. They enjoyed the hands on activity and created some interesting pictures.

Note: I had students draw everything and didn’t want to take my, or class time, to cut out the supplied shapes - plus I was pushing it asking for a couple color pages in the first place!

3 Likes

Hey @bradleywellsashley - Thanks for sharing. Do you still feel like they got the same goals with just drawing the shapes? Definitely interested to hear if students pick up the x and y terms with a couple more lessons.

-Dani

Dani,

I think they did, the only thing I was watching for was the black dot to show where the origin was and they didn’t pick up on that at all. The later lessons are going smoothly with the x and y, just the mind flip for y to increase moving down the page. In a call GT had mentioned a possible “grid” to turn on which is helpful as I use that with Scratch in my ES lessons.

Brad