Possible Digital Scences

TEACHERS of AP CSP:

Please feel free to show this link to your students which showcases all of our projects from 2017 plus about 3 projects from 2016.

Some teams of 3 went well beyond the call of duty and created some pseudo animation and a few other bells and whistles we learn in Unit 5.

Things to “change”
Easy Stuff:
color, width, orientation

More challenging:
size, number of items, location

https://ahsapcspdigitalscenes.weebly.com/

3 Likes

Joe, these are awesome exemplars, thanks for sharing! Starting this project today, and these will be great motivators. And I’m impressed with the web page you placed them in!

1 Like

Thanks. That’s the main reason why I put it together for other students to see what other ideas are possible. Enjoy!

What requirements did you give the students to make sure they created a scene that had so much detail?

Thanks. A few things. Showing them lots of examples from previous students.

Inspiring them to “out do” last years’ sciences and to be as creative as possible. This year, I gave them 4 full block days instead of 3.

Individual Requirements

1. You should have many functions.

2. Each person should have at least 100 lines of code

3. You should use multiple loops

4. You should use Randomization so that your SCENE changes every time you run the code.

5. You should use several PARAMETERS in multiple functions so that each time you run the code the following can change

6. Size

7. Number of items drawn

8. Location…(x,y)

9. Color

10. Width

11. Shape

12. Think Big Algorithms (Main Function-Algorithms….top level of Abstraction) vs. Small Algorithms

13. Call your smaller functions from within the larger Function-algorithm. This is also a requirement for the AP Exam

14. See Example below

1 Like

Has anyone tried having students add motion to their digital scenes? I had mine do it this year, and I got some fantastic results. It really brought on a greater challenge to those kids who needed it.

Wow! I’d love to see some samples!

@kimberly_l_gustin,

Yes, it’d be great if you could post some examples. I’m curious how students did this.

Frank

digital scene with motion (tetris)

Hopefully this link will work, but this one by far had the most motion and was super fun to look at.

2 Likes

spongebob digital scene

This one turned out really well too. No motion though

2 Likes

code.org sail boat

This one is just super cool.

2 Likes

Hi @kimberly_l_gustin,

Wow, these are incredible! Thanks for sharing! :grinning:

Frank

1 Like

Hi there!
How many hours should I allow for just the planning/coding partion of Unit 3 - Lesson 10 digital Scene?
-Melanie

How many hours should I allow for just the planning/coding partion of Unit 3 - Lesson 10 digital Scene?
-Melanie

For this year, I used this timeline. Each period is 45 minutes.

• Task #1 – Group Planning (1/2 Period)
  • Task #2 – Individual Components (2 Periods)
  • Task #3 – Putting It Together (2 Periods)
1 Like

Thanks so much, that does help.

This year based on the response from last years classes, I gave 5 days. 1 day for planning/introduction, 3 days construction, 2 days to put it together. I am including two parts, one individual and one group. Each worth the same amount of points. Individual is the individual work on code.org, then the individual ap practice response. Group is group planning guide, and group construction/presentation. Because Thanksgiving break lands right in the middle of it, I gave one extra day to put it together when they return. I will see how it turns out.

Smart idea. I’m basically doing the same thing since we just started this week and next week we have the entire week off.

1 Like