Reflecting on Summer CS in Science PD

I really enjoyed the trainings and PDs, but I would love to learn more about support such as research for students to complete or other activities to help teachers use the CS for more meaningful experiences. I hope I can figure out some of this in my classroom and share my experiences. Many of the activities that we learned in class were seemingly short-term in their impact.

I am excited to get students engaged through SL Nova, but I am still not confident on how to navigate it myself. I also need more experience with making things do what I want them to do since I am a new coder/programmer. Finally, I am having a hard time figuring out how to work this into our schedule in science.

I think this program will be a great asset to our campus. In many ways I am learning along with my students and am motivated to learn more about coding myself.

Iā€™m excited to share this with my students. I was so excited that I began by showing my 11 year old daughter what I had learned. I definitely need to master the drawers and understanding how they function.

I am excited about the possibilities this can bring into the classroom. Unfortunately, I am a computer teacher assisting the science department and going to the chemistry portion of the summer training was WAY over my head. I would love some more basic training with Star LogoNova. I am concerned with my students jumping into block coding at this level and wonder where the best lead into this complex system might be in code.org.

I like the way the course combines the online learning with the classroom learning. I feel I could have used another day in the classroom learning the slnova and more complex tasks. I am definitely excited about teaching the CS and using the ā€œTā€ in STEM more effectively. I am sure the students will love it.

I am trying to figure out how to fit this into the 7th grade science curriculum. It doesnā€™t seem to mesh too well with the utah state standards that are present now. I still love the idea of implementing it into our classrooms but I am concerned about making it work this year. Iā€™m a little hesitant but i still want to try. I also am a little nervous and excited to share this with my students that love computers science. This is going to be very exciting for those students.

I guess my response to the implementation section would have been more pertinent for this! Iā€™m doing this training as an informal educator, but I know that itā€™s designed more for formal classroom educators.

As far as my own teaching is concerned, I am hoping that I come up with some more bite-sized ways to introduce coding into my programming since thatā€™s the type of audience that I have. As a provider of teacher professional development, I would also love to know ways that I can support formal classroom educators in implementing coding into their classroom instruction.

I am excited to introduce this to my students and give them the opportunity to explore a new career option. I think that offering this at my school will elevate us to the next level, above STEM. ; )

I am concerned with troubleshooting and will need some support as some of my codes donā€™t work as planned.

Iā€™ve thoroughly enjoyed this PD thus far. Iā€™m excited to introduce this to my students, but Iā€™m also a little nervous about it. I wish I was a little more confident with it myself, but Iā€™ll just tell my students we are learning together. I think they will love it!

I am so excited to see how my students will do with this content. I think that it is very different from what most of them have ever done, and I am hopeful that I can introduce them to a field that they may not have considered, but could be very successful in. I am also anxious to see how my students of differing levels (low to high, ESE, ELLs) will interact with the content. While Iā€™ve learned a lot of information, I know that I need a lot more practice with the content in order to feel comfortable being the facilitator of these lessons. I think the first foundation lessons may be confusing, but I also believe students will rise to the challenge once they get to begin the actual coding.

Iā€™m very excited to implement 2 modules with my students this year. Iā€™m nervous about how it will go. Iā€™ve never implemented a program like this with my students beforeā€”Iā€™m confident that they will be engaged and interested. Iā€™m confident that this will allow them to work collaboratively and think critically. Iā€™m still nervous thoughā€”because this is so new for me and the technology is a little scary.

Iā€™ve learned an awesome programming language, that will be great for the kids. I have yet to really master how the kids will take to it. Weā€™ll see how it goes this year and I can not wait to see how the kids will understand it, and what they will do with it!

Sometimes the code blocks are a bit confusing as far as what they do. I almost think that a ā€œcheat sheetā€ outlining the different functions of each block might be helpful. Maybe even an example of how to implement them to make it a bit more user friendly for non-computer students (to get them more interested).

The Summer PD is over and I did learn how the blocks work, but, I still am not very efficient at moving between the different drawers. I will try to fit this in my 8th grade Science class using the chemistry graph coding lesson.
I am a bit concerned about the rate my students will catch on.
Using the Chemistry model without having lots of separate time for students to get familiar with coding might be a challenge. I like the idea of a Coding Club but its hard to work extra and not get paid.

I am really excited for my students to continue learning how to problem solve and troubleshoot with peers. I still need to get more comfortable with the location of the blocks.

As I continue learning about coding, I am excited to see how my students will react to it. I already mentioned to them that they will be learning it and putting it into practice with regards to science and many were excited. As mentioned before, I just need to continue practicing and getting familiar with the program so that I can be confident enough to introduce it to my students.

So far one of the most important things Iā€™ve learned is to just forge ahead and keep trying different combinations of blocks to achieve the desired results. Then when something works, I try to study what I did to understand why it works. Hopefully with practice Iā€™ll be able to anticipate what needs to be done so I can rely more on intuition and less on trial and error. Iā€™m excited about teaching this, since it should be of interest to students. Iā€™m a bit nervous about getting stuck and having a class of impatient students waiting for me to keep things moving forward. But I have to remember that there will most probably be students who will be able to help me figure things out.

My evolved passion for student computer literacy is unmatched by my level of experience in the industry, but I donā€™t apologize for that. I can keep learning. I spent 11 years at home with my own children as a ā€œhuman engineerā€. That experience will enable me to nurture my classes along this exciting path. Thank you, Code.org.

I am becoming comfortable with figuring out which drawers to look in for particular blocks, but I still need to work on arranging them to do what I want them to, and not interfere with other elements. I am excited to see what my students can do with the simulations, and to see their interest peaked.