Supporting CS Discoveries students during school closures

I uploaded the Activity Guide from Unit 5 Lesson 11 to classkick to make it drag and drop.

1 Like

Unit 5 Lesson 15 - I need some suggestions how the students can collect data from 20 people. I am thinking have them write the survey in Google Forms and send it out to friends and relatives. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I think maybe give them a choice. Some may be able to call friends and family or even make an instagram poll (if that’s their thing and they have the phone). It could even be kind of fun for them to do something like that over a few days and poll their friends. May get a better response over social media. Of course, some kids won’t have the same number of social media contacts, so there should be another way.

Another option may be the google forms (if you can successfully show them how to make one) and have them email the faculty at the school?

I may cut it down to 15 instead of 20 as well as it’s super easy to make a poll and circulate around the classroom and get 20 responses, but not quite as simple for some to do it online. So, I guess my original thought is give them a few options and let them choose one and/or come up with their own.

Mike

I am thinking I am going to give them a few days to get the responses collected. I won’t be able to do unit 6, so I can move on what I have planned as an alternative for a few days and then finish the project. It is too bad that code.org has not offered an alternative for unit 6.

Yes. It’s hard to substitute a unit on short notice especially where unit 6 is all about connecting software to hardware and hardware costs money and isn’t easily shareable for home-based school. It would be nice if the Circuit Playgrounds could be made into virtual circuit playgrounds. Guessing it could be done, but just takes time and money … lol.

Mike

I am looking for a final that I can use for my Discoveries class? Anyone have one they would be willing to share?

You might try looking through the assessment section on the forum. There are a lot of different things that people have posted over time. There might be something in there that could work for you.
https://forum.code.org/c/csd/assessment/371

If you can adjust Unit 6 to use micro:bits in place of the circuit playground there is a simulator on the Makecode website. I know code.org is working with them to incorporate micro:bit. It was supposed to happen this spring but with the pandemic it is probably delayed.

1 Like