Teaching Computer Science: Your Plans

Question 1: Student Goals in my Pre-K Class
1.) Students will realize that technology specifically computer science affects their lives. 2.) Students will begin to understand and demonstrate problem solving skills essential in computer programming.
Code.org will help my students achieve these goals with the exploration of unplugged activities and course work when provided with teacher assistance.
Question 2. I am most excited to see my students help me enter commands in the online course to make the actors complete an action. I envision my students being excited and going home to tell their parents what they have learned.
Questions 3: I anticipate not getting very far with coding with my student because they will require adult support to read the commands and some require assistance using a computer mouse. My studentā€™s future teachers will have to continue their knowledge in their classrooms.
Question 4: I this point I am very new to coding and have no questions but I am sure with further exploration I will.

Hi all,

Iā€™m Pete and I teach in a rural school in Australia. This is the first time my school has taught code to our students and we have only made it available to our year 9ā€™s and 10ā€™s (15 and 16 year olds) to start with. I will push to make it available to younger year levels next year. We have two classes starting next semester and I want to use code.org as the back bone of the class -Iā€™m really excited to use this! I have looked through all of the options and I have decided at this stage to use the Accelerated 20hour intro course because my kids have little to no experience with code and I have only been given 50hours of class time. Is this the best place to start with my students or should I try and start with Computer Science Principles unit 1? Hope this was an ok place to ask this question!

Thanks

I want my students to see that today, computer science is part of many tools and services we use everyday, and that it is very important.I want to expose each student to teh concepts and practices in computer programming. I plan on partnering with other teachers and modeling course 1 to my students.

I will integrate the unplugged lessons with curriculum activities and have students to demonstrate understanding through code.

I think itā€™s wonderful to be able to expose students to real world skills at such an early age. Learning to code can open a wide range of possibilities!

My challenge will be conquering my own fear of coding, but I plan on using this to teach my students that we are all learners.

Hello,
I have been using Code.org for several years. My students love it! I use it as an activity they can do after finishing with the weekly work. Most of my students work in class very well just to have time to do some CODE and solve more puzzles. Some even ask if they can continue working at home, which they can and I encourage it.
My challenge is keeping up with them because they devour the courses. Second graders finished Course 2 in just 2 classes , they canĀ“t get enough.
Thank you for such wonderful site!
Flavia

I am a 20 yr veteran elementary teacher that just began using code.org during the Hour of Code. I am now loving it and want to become a computer science teacher!

As you think about how you currently are or how you might in the future teach Computer Science using any of the code.org or Code Studio resources, whatā€™s your plan?

My plan is to bring this CS Science course to my 4 classrooms of fifth and sixth graders throughout the year. I need to bring this to all of my students whether s/he is an ELL student or a diverse learner.

What are your goals for your classroom? The goal is for me to have the materials accessible for all of my students so that everyone will have the opportunity to learn coding.

How will CS or code.org resources help you meet those goals? The resources is a good guideline for me to work with to modify for my students.

What are you most excited about when it comes to implementing some of these resources? I am most excited about implementing the unplugged sections for students to correlate what it means to what they are asked to do in coding.

What challenges do you forsee in trying to meet your goals? I see many challenges trying to meet my goals is mainly time! Time is the largest factor which is a double edge sword, especially with all the new testing our students need to endure throughout the year not once but multiple times. Therefore, completing the modules as completely as I would wish would be the challenge for time is not on our side.

What questions do you have that this community might help you answer? I am dire need of materials that is translated correctly in Chinese for my ELL students.

Due to the fact that I am moving to another state, and thus far, have been selected to teach Alg. 2 rather than Alg. 1 this year, Iā€™m not sure how I will get this in. Once I learn my students and my new curriculum, I hope to be able to include it periodically, or possibly as a refresher or remediation tool early in the school year. Wish me luck! :smile:

A challenge I anticipate in introducing this to my students is a hesitation/resistance/being uncomfortable with failure. That said, I am hoping that this helps my students develop a deeper understanding of certain math concepts.

My goal is to include CS in English. I hope to find at least 30 mins a week to introduce basic elements of coding to my students.
Code.org resources will help me motivate my students to enjoy coding with great online and unplugged activities.
I really love the unplugged activities which we can do in class before doing the online activities in the computer lab. I also love the resources available for tracking and assessment.
We did the hour of code last year and my students loved it! I plan to do Course 1 and 2 with my 5th and 6th grade students during the school year. I will try to involve more teachers too.
At the moment I donā€™t need help but maybe later I will need support from the community.

I am completely new to this program, I am preparing to teach the computer science course to 5th-7th graders. I notice in one of the threads someone mentioned that they taught the 5th graders course 3 curriculum, is there anything wrong with taking them back to course 1 considering that they have not had that course yet. In my case I believe it may be best to start everyone at course 1 because most if not all of the concepts are foreign to them. Thoughts?

I began with Code.org two Decembers ago with the Hour of Code. As the school librarian, I was able to do the Hour of Code with each of of my 540 students. I found that they really loved it so I started branding out from there. Later, I went to a PD put on by Code.org in my city to learn how to use their curriculum. Now, I am working my way through all of the courses on my own, so I can stay at least one step ahead of the most voracious students. I supplement my lessons with Scratch programming and Common Sense Mediaā€™s lessons on Digital Citizenship.

I will be using the program for the very first time. I believe it is the first exposure for all students k-5.
I am considering 1st grade starting in September and Kindergarten starting after the Christmas break.

We have a coding club, so my club members have loved solving puzzles and learning how to "tell the computer what to do.

I love that computer science and programming is taught as a puzzle using game themes, I wish I could have learned it this way.

Time is one of our worst constraints, there are so many requirements and skills that need to be taught that, so I put this in as a bonus unit that they will work for to give us that time.

I am new to this program. I would like to teach this course to 5th graders. I need more training.

Hi, Iā€™m from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and this is the first time I join this community.
Iā€™m an engineer and I love to code.
I have kids, so I plan to teach them how to code. With that in mind, I also want to teach more kids in Vietnam.

I will be teaching this year to 7th and 8th graders, but Iā€™m going to start the year with lessons from the K-8 curriculum first, THEN advance to the CS Algebra and Science curriculum. This is my first year to use Code.org, so itā€™s brand new to me, but Iā€™m looking forward to it, as a veteran in both IT and Education. This is exciting!

Hello,
My name is Linda. I will be teaching the code.org curriculum for the first time. I teach 4K in the morning and will be teaching Computer Science in the afternoons to children in grades Pre-K -5th grade. Any suggestions for the 4K and 5K population would be so helpful.

Iā€™ll be using coding as an elective and club activity on my campus.
I am excited because it is adding something new to what we do on our campus that will be beneficial to our students.
The main challenge will be in getting the computers set up because of the construction currently on our campus.
I donā€™t have any specific questions.

I am hoping to implement this program to supplement my algebra/pre-algebra instruction. I look forward to implementing this resource as I think it will reinforce order of operations and be a good way to introduce functions. I am worried about time constraints. I wonder if any fellow users have any tips.

I am planning on using coding in Algebra for a few different reasons. I want to supplement the algebra I am teaching to 7th graders, and I want to give the students I teach in my technology and engineering class a chance to get familiar with the logic of coding before we get into our more advanced C-based Robotic program.